Tomato Soup?

Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Reply to
Ken

Go ask the folks on They'll give you 37 different opinions on the best tomato soup and they'll all be good : )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Here's the recipe we like. From Jacques Pepin's Kitchen: Cooking with Claudine more or less......

Tomato Potage

1T olive oil 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered 1 T flour 1 1/2 C water 2 lbs. tomatoes, quartered 1 clove garlic 1 - 4" sprig thyme 1 t sugar 1/2 t pepper 3/4 t salt 2 T butter

Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in water and mix well.

Add remaining ingredients through the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Strain mixture by putting it through a food mill. Alternatively - puree in a food processor and then push through a strainer to remove skin and seeds.

Stir in butter and whisk to incorporate.

Yield - 6 cups

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Tracy Peek

This one is wonderful...

Fennel Tomato Soup

Olive oil

Beef stock

Diced tomatoes

Fennel bulbs (2 bulbs for 3 pounds of tomatoes)

Onion

Carrots

Garlic (3 cloves for 3 pounds of tomatoes)

Salt

Pepper

Parsley

Star pasta or Orzo

Cheese (Parmesan, Romano or Asiago)

Sausage for non-veggie version

In soup pot, sauté in olive oil until tender the onion and garlic. Add sliced carrots and fennel, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper and sausage. Cook over low heat about 30 minutes. Add pasta during last 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and cheese.

begin 666 clip_image001.gif M1TE&.#EA, `P`' M5X8GFFYKJ[XPMV:S6]]6;>L2W_,]@"PA@VAT$(/)(Y*VC$JG%*KUBKAJEYBM M=R3Z:G_BZ:[,O:"!H/4IY8:A;V+?UN@5YG5?>Y_^)U

Reply to
AnonnyMoose

Tomato-corn chowder

Saute' one carrot, plus 6 garlic cloves or one small onion, minced, in

2 tbsp vegetable oil. When they change color, add a couple thinly sliced zucchini, five or six sliced okra, one pound of chopped tomatoes, and the kernels of two cobs. Add water, bouillon, and spices to taste (we add salt, fresh sorrel, and one chili). Simmer for half an hour and serve.
Reply to
simy1

Here's a very easy tomato soup recipe:

Bring to the boil 2 chopped tomatoes in a few tablespoons of water add 1 can tomato soup and water to give desired consistency reheat nearly to a simmer

See, I said it was easy. :-)

Reply to
John Savage

I'm not sure but I think that just might be cheating. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You mean a smooth soup a la Campbell's canned? Try this:

Put a little olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Saute some diced celery, onion, & carrot until soft but not browned -- garlic as desired. Add coarsely chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes until the skins show signs of separating. Put all this through a food mill and into a regular pot. Discard solids (skin, seeds, etc.) Season puree with S&P. You can now reduce this mixture a bit and then add chicken or veg broth (leave out salt if using commercial products), milk, or cream to the desired consistency.

The food mill part is handy because you don't have to peel and de-seed the tomatoes before cooking.

Reply to
Frogleg

that tomato corn chowder sounds to DIE FOR!

It sounds like a dish that my grandmother used to make, although I never got the recipe for it.

Reply to
Bpyboy