Paleo diet cartoon

Not to resucitate (ap?) the "paleo diet" thread, heaven forbid, but there's a funny cartoon about it in the new New Yorker cartoon Web site. Third cartoon.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

Ghostery blocks it and I am not about to turn Ghostery off. Rats! Was looking forward to a good, funny cartoon.

-T

Did not realize you were a penguin. Never heard of a Jewish penguin. Thought they were all Presbyterians. Go figure.

Reply to
Todd

Here is a site with two funny ones that Ghostery doesn't block:

The first one cracks me up. Run Real Fast!

By the way, Paloes are not suppose to eat "cured" meat (sixth graphic in second cartoon). Fortunately Applegate sells a great uncured, natural bacon. It is so good! Hard to stop eating.

Reply to
Todd

Oh. That is why my page was blank. Thanks for figuring it out for me.

I tried Pause Blocking. I reloaded the page. Still blank. It claims blocking is paused. Are you sure it is Ghostery? Adblock Plus has blocked many things.

Don.

(e-mail at page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I never heard of Ghostery until now. Went there and read many enthusiastic reviews, but also one that says Ghostery sells info to companies. Anybody know?

Re: d/l Ghostery, did it interfere with your anti-virus? Mine is Avast.

Tx for any info.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Don,

Love the site. Thank you for putting it together!

We Paleos sure do eat well! Too bad I had to get Diabetes to figure it out.

I love this cartoon:

Pretty much pokes humor at all the baloney out there about us.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Higgs,

I have never know Ghostery to interfere with your antivirus.

Also, I have never heard that it spies on you. Mozilla would knock it off there site (add ons), if it did.

If is scary to see all the places that spy on your when you surf the Internet. NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!

Now, since I didn't get to see the cartoon, I expect you to reach down into the very bottom of your funny bone and find another one! It had better be funny too, or, or, or, or (too horrible to repeat but it will involve A LOT of guilt)!

-T

Are you a dude or a chick? I saw Oren refer to you in the feminine. I couldn't tell if he was teasing or not.

Reply to
Todd

The second joke was amusing IMO whereas I just thought the third joke was apt.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

If you go to Settings, then Options, you can check a box that enables Ghostrank. It then collects anonymous data about the trackers you've encountered and the sites on which they were placed. This is totally opt-in.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Thanks.

No kidding. Though to be a strict paleo (organic and no meat from animals that were feed seeds), it can be expensive.

Some people for lunch have a white meat turkey sandwich on a club roll. The meat is rather dry, so they add low-fat mayo, iceberg lettuce, and a tasteless tomato that has been reddened with ethylene gas. And they wash it down with a soda.

Instead I had for lunch (with my coop prices):

1 non-organic avocado ($1.19) 1/2 juice lime (less than $0.10) 1/4 large red onion, chopped ($0.25) 1/3 lb of wild Java Crab ($6.74) 1.67 oz of organic washed spinach, shredded ($1.11)

Mixed in a 1-1/2 quart Pyrex casserole dish.

I wash it down with Poland Spring bottled water bought on sale.

Now if Anita wasn't having production problems, I would add some of her coconut yogurt. It is totally pure. Just coconut and cultures.

The above totals to $9.39.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

It is not Ghostery. I checked to whitelist the site. I reloaded. Still no carton. I unwhitelisted the site.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I loaded it in another browser that does not have any blocking software. There is a preroll video ad that Adblock Plus is blocking.

The third cartoon is the paleo one. There are three cavemen sitting around a fire. The caption is "I don't know about you guys, but I've had it up to here with the paleo diet."

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Hi Don,

That explains it.

Tried it in Midori. Got the add, but nothing else.

-T

Higgs!

"C-" (Minus for meanness.) bemorefunnybemorefunnybemorefunny. Think Grok running for his life from a pack of bees, yelling occationallyrunrealfast!

You can redeem yourself. I am waiting.

-T

Still waiting.

Reply to
Todd

Hi Don,

We have a local rancher that is completely vertical. He grows then, slaughters them, the whole nine yards. You can buy a quarter side and on up at a time from him. He feeds him his own grass, which I presume includes the seeds. He told me, if I am remembering correctly, that he only gets 2 lbs a day versus 3 lbs if he used straight grains and chemicals/hormones/antibiotics, etc.. Oh, and he hangs them too. The taste is extraordinary. His cows are allowed to move around and only eat when they are hungry.

Feeding them straight grains makes them sick and we definitely are not suppose to eat carrion. It is a race to get the cow to slaughter before you kill it.

Seeds (and bugs) are part of chickens natural diet though.

All the local farmers I know have waiting lines for their stuff. I really would like to get some turkey and duck eggs. Would love to try some heritage pork too

Oh, perfect killer of ants: guineas. They will wipe out an ant hill in no time flat, turning the annoying pests into food (eggs and meat)!

LOW FAT !?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Just the very idea!

Can we say, diabetes?

That is $20.22 / lb. Yikes! What is a "Java crab" anyway? A nervous crab?

You do have to get creative at times. Ordering a side of natural/organic beef from a local rancher gets the cost down.

And there is also the "catch it or grow it yourself" thing too. I am not above mooching off my hunter friends/customers. Elk and moose are delicious. Venison: EEEEEYUK. You can get 800 lbs of meat off one moose. A customer of mine bagged one a few years back and had too much to handle. Well his computer needed fixing and I came away with a cooler full of moose. Life is good!

Raley's sells a grass fed beef, but it obviously in not hung (tough as hell), not very appealing.

I was shocked at the several hundreds of dollars of high carb garbage I had to give away when I first got inducted into the pin cushion club. When all settled down, my weekly food was pretty close to what it was before -- maybe five to ten dollars more.

I have been eating a lot of purslane salads which grow where ever I walk in my back yard. Free food! The major expense when I am done making a salad is the organic mayo and the cultured buttermilk in my home make ranch dressing. Be surprised if I hit

5 grams of carbs and $2.00 per plate.

But you do have to get creative to keep the cost down. And don't obsess on being a perfectionist. And remember that variety is very important, but I think I am preaching to the choir.

-T

Have you heard about coffee fruit flour? It is the fruit of the bean, virtually no caffeine, and low carb. Typically, it gets fed to livestock.

You do realize that every time I talk to you, I get hungry.

Reply to
Todd

The coop buys whole cows from a few different farmers. The coop decides how to price each cut. Different farmers vary the amount of fat in the ground beef. The fattiest one is $6.23/lb.

No hanging.

You can get mail order completely pastured turkey from Slankers:

I believe my coop has duck eggs. I should try them?

I do list a couple places on

Slankers has had feral pork in the past. They haven't had any in a while.

It keeps creeping up in price. Not long ago it was $18/lb can. Must be kept refrigerated. Java is the country where it is wild caught. It tastes a lot like lobster. It is distributed by a local company. It does not appear on the web.

I think for the next batch (I buy for three meals at a time), I will use Wild Planet Foods' Wild Albacore Tuna No Salt for variety. I do not use salt at all in my cooking. I can now taste the salt in meat. I can no longer eat smoked fish. It is horribly salty. The salt lingers and I want to rinse out my mouth. Our ancestors did not have salt shakers.

There is ample salt in meat and seafood. We all know that vegans have to supplement their diet with B-12. What people also don't realize is vegans have to supplement with salt. Since salt is so ubiquitous in modern cooking, we don't think of it as supplementing, but a vegan cannot toss the salt shaker.

There usually is lots of wood sorrel growing around here.

You can make homemade mayo with olive oil.

I don't worry about keeping costs down.

Variety is important. I don't practice this as much as I should. Most people eat only a few different meats. Our ancestors ate whatever they could catch or trap. It would have been a great variety of animals. And they foraged for hundreds of different plants.

I have mail ordered conch, turtle meat and frozen baby clams from Wholey. I wanted to buy the alligator meat, but the alligators are fed grains.

No, I have not. It could be interesting. First, coffee is not a "bean." Coffee is the seed of a fruit. Fruit seeds are not supposed to be digested. They evolved to pass through an animal's digestive track and still be viable at the other end. Fruit seeds should never be human food. (And this includes cocoa.)

Berries have thorns to keep animals away. Animals would digest the seeds. Berry bushes want their berries to be eaten by birds, which don't digest the seeds.

The coffee flour is simply ground fruit. There is a paleo argument that fruit should limited. In the past fruit would have been seasonal (though different fruits at different times of the year), and the fruits were much less voluptuous and less sweet than they are these days.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Hi Don,

When you hang beef, it really tenderizes it and adds to the flavor. Rats!

A trick I like to do is when the Natural Chuck, London Broil, or other tough old buzzard comes on sale, is to ask my butcher to grind the whole thing up. They come prepackage in 18 to 20 lb packs. When the butcher cuts them up for the display case, they remove the fat (NNNOOOO). So I get it fat and all, plus about a dollar more off per lb as he did not remove the fat. I have him pack them in 2 lb packs and freeze them up.

Ah. Seed dispersal! Sometimes, plants make the seeds so big that you have to eat around them, tossing the seed away. Wild avocados for instance. Others it is just a matter of how long it stays in you before the seed gets digested. And some times, plants will add and extra "run down the hall" ingredient to make sure the seed gets the quick heave hoe. Cherries for instance. (Don't have that problem any more, as I can only eat two of them at a sitting. Use them for desert. Use to have that problem real bad as I could not discipline myself when it came to cherries.)

Speaking of Cherries, did your co-op managed to get any organic Rainer cherries? Raley's is still carrying them. I live for them to come in season. They taste like honey.

I usually do not cook with salt. Meat and eggs, never, as it dries them out. (Secret to frying eggs: butter, low heat, and salt them to taste after they hit your plate.) Vegi's I will add some salt. I use Sea Salt. Mineral salt tastes nasty to me. Interesting how both our tastes changed after Paloe. Fascinating about the Vegans and salt.

Mark Sisson did a wonderful article on salt:

I think the trick is to add it afterwards to taste. Your body is pretty good at telling you what you need.

Yes, do try the duck eggs and let me know! Here is Mark Sisson thoughts on the "other eggs". He is really asking for comment and he gets a lot of interesting responses.

Turkey eggs too, if you can find them. Variety is very important. I don't do it as much as I should, but far more than before diabetes/Paleo.

I do not think seeds are necessarily a problem. I think seeds that have been hybridized for unnatural amounts of carbohydrates are a definite problem. One head of wheat probably has more worthless empty carbs in it than Grok could find all day.

You may want to read over Mark's article on Dark Chocolate:

By the way, Cacao and Coco are the same thing.

If you decide to try it, I make a killer Paleo cocoa. I will give you the recipe. About 2 carbs per cup.

This is my favorite cooking group. Lots of great cooks:

And no Met (Metformin) Heads, like on diabetic cooking sites. Plus, Paloes like cooking that way and are not pissed off about it as are many diabetics, usually the ones on drugs.

Met, among other things, makes you paranoid delusional. Yup. Everyone is picking on you. You turn into a real jerk. When you get off it, you have to do a lot of apologizing.

Loved the letter. Thank you!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Still waiting. (Sight of fingers tapping and single eyebrow raised.)

Reply to
Todd

Most of the farms around here lost their cherry crop from the Winter freeze. I only bought them once at a farmer's market. It is easy to see what produce my coop is selling. It is all listed online at:

Scrolling down to cherries I find there are no organic ones.

He is seeking benefits for it. Our ancestors did fine with no salt shakers. Just meat and seafood.

One builds up a tolerance to salt. If you use it you will want it to make the food taste good. For someone like me that never uses it, all food tastes just fine without it. And then I find fresh leg of lamb to be salty.

Well, I get enough B-12. I don't need duck eggs to get it. I bought some regular eggs today, not thinking about duck eggs. By regular they are from a small farmer that pastures the chickens.

Never seen them.

Our ancestors were not seeds eaters. Other than some large seeds they were not gathering them. They are high in Omega-6s. These depress the immune system and inflame the arteries. All seeds* have anti-nutrients. They have to. If animals ate the seeds that would disrupt the seed's reproductive cycle. A common antinutrient is phytic acid. Another is lectins.

  • Non-fruit seeds. Fruit seeds evolved to not be digested.

I disagree. The chocolate sellers put a lot of effort into promoting their product. You can create a study to show whatever benefit you want. And they, of course, ignore the negatives. As for lowering blood pressure, mine is already as low as it can go and still be healthy.

He makes a big deal of antioxidants. Staffan Lindeberg says they are no big deal for a paleo eater. A paleo eater can ignore all the hype about them. An antioxidant is a molecule that inhibits the oxidation of other molecules. But on a paleo diet oxidation of other molecules is not an issue.

Mark is primal, not paleo. I follow the Neanderthin paleo variant. The food must be edible raw, though it is okay to cook it. Both cocoa and coffee seeds fail this test.

Having not eaten chocolate in a long time I do not like it.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

When I was a kid, I use to love the smell of roasting Lamb. My mom use to get after me for eating too much. ("Here have some more potatoes, they are cheap".) Now, since my tastes have changes from the Paleo, I can not even stand the smell of it. Bummer too, it cuts down on variety.

Salt does depend on how much sea food you can consume. I don't eat any as it is disgusting out here. I do remember as a kid catching my limit of surf perch and cooking them up that night. What a treat.

Salt is necessary for all life. The poison is in the dosage. Here is an interesting article on salt in Africa:

If you do use salt, I would recommend sea salt. It has trace minerals in it.

Those are so good! The thing about various eggs is the variety thing.

I have only heard of them.

Here is a good article to back up what you just said

Don't industry funded studies drive you crazy? There is an industry funded study on cinnamon and diabetes out there. Total horse s***, as far as I can tell.

And there are endless study on "Healthy Carbs" out there that the two of know are total trash

I seem to get along fine with cocoa. It is the artificially hybridized for high carbohydrate stuff I have to watch out for (grains, etc.).

I follow Mark Sisson and Steve Cooksey. Steve's site is specific to Diabetics and Paleo:

Mark lectures on Paleo and diabetes, as he has had it since he was a kid. Still has his feet too!

But, I don't obsess on it.

And now I am hungry again!

-T

Bummer on the cherries!

Reply to
Todd

The Glutamate Association has done several studies showing that MSG is benign. How do they do it? First, to be in the study you are interviewed by phone. They ask if you are sensitive to MSG. If you respond yes, you are excluded. Then in the study they use aspartame as the control beverage. Aspartame is also an excitotoxin. They results are 15% of the MSG group and

15% of the control group get a reaction. Ergo, there is no reason to avoid MSG.