Cider apple crusher pictures

Billy, Charlie et al

Have finished making the apple pulper and it works fine. An old $10 waste disposal unit, taken apart and cleaned up and then reassembled. Now in its own collapsable stand. It can be lifted in and out for portability and sits in a small aluminium sink. After about the 8th apple the pulped up apples start sliding out the bottom tube. Each whole apple takes about 5-10 seconds to become mush. The pulping will be over in a few hours rather than the 2 days processing through the food processor. The WD unit must be easily 20+ years old and is solid so should handle a bit of abuse.

Pictures here

reckon even Charlie couldn't have make it any cheaper.

Roll on Easter.

rob

Reply to
George

Cleverly crafted, Rob.

In wine making, a small amount of SO2 (30 ppm) is added to the fruit to keep the juice from browning when extracted. That would be .5ml (5% SO2 solution)/L. 5% solution is made by dissolving 1 pound of potassium metabisulfite in 1 gallon of water (use old water jug with cap).

My only concern would be leaching of metal from the grinders (seem we had this discussion once, but thought I'd mention it again). In wine making, this can cause a haze called a "cassé"

Probably OK if crushing of fruit is done quickly and the crusher is rinsed thoroughly before and after use.

Here, I'll be starting germination of my cool weather crops in thirty days.

Reply to
Billy