carrots in cloches

Hurrah. Have finally ordered my PoshCloche on good ole ebay but need some advice on growing under cloches.
Do I have to close / block off the ends of the cloche or will it generate enough heat to get seeds going if i leave the ends open. i was going to start with carrot seeds.? We live in the south of UK
All advice appreciated Many thanks