Carrots are in the ground

It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked the soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed packet says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't wait to see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I have the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering them once per day adequate?

Reply to
Hud

Probably me. Great little book isn't it? Funny thing is I put in my carrots today...no sun to do it by though.

Don't expect the carrots to germinate within two weeks. Carrots will take longer...up to a month. Some people plant some radish at the same time cause they would mature and be picked just as the carrots really get going. (I don't cause I'm not a fan of radishes).

So, don't worry if you don't see anything until the end of the month. Just don't let the area dry out.

To add, I've also put in my spuds, turnip, peas and onions. I'm well on my way...despite a chilly spring.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's ice chilled Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Oops...meant to add about the watering...yes...keep it watered lightly once a day until it germinates...don't let the ground get crusty dry until they're established and from then on, keep an even watering schedule.

Since it's been so cold this spring for me (barely into the 40s F yet), my carrots this year are under a mini greenhouse (4x16 - 2' high...great little setup)...so I have a soaker hose in there set on a timer for a watering once a day in the morning.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Bless all you gardeners, you keep me more or less sane. I too got some carrot and, radish seed in the ground today. They join a couple of tomato plants, bush beans, peas and, lettuce. Spaded up one of the corn and melon beds but I got rained out before I could finish.

Germination takes forever. I'm really tempted to spend a fortune at the nursery for plants. Luckily, I'm too cheap.

Supposed to be almost 90F on Monday. Hope I'm ready for it.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose