small carrots

I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

Reply to
jenhicks

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly, carrots need thinning.

Reply to
Wilson

There is also the idea of pelleting. Basically it is taking very small seeds and blending them in mud. Dry them run thru a sieve and plant.

Some places do it for you.

Bill who putters
5 inches isn't too bad for a carrot, but as you say... it was a one off...
Reply to
Mathink