Carrots!

I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those lengthwise splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These have been pretty much left on their own since I began spending a lot of time at our Ozark Hideaway .

Reply to
Snag

Google will provide you with many answers from nematodes to watering. Give Google a try...you will like it.

Reply to
Roy

The usual explanation is over-fertile soil. Carrots like soft sandy soil with some organic matter but not very fertile. If practicing crop rotation sow carrots last after heavy feeding crops are done before refurbishing or fertilising.

David Hare-Scott

Thanks ! These were grown in a patch that I turned from grass to garden spring-before-last , and both years I tilled a 2" layer of nice rich black compost into the soil . Had great top growth , and pretty decent carrots . These were a "short n sweet" variety , and they are indeed short . Fat too !

Reply to
Snag