Screwfix website and Trojans

Every time I visit the Screwfix website my 'Spyware Doctor' software tells me that Screwfix has put Trojan.lop_com on my pc.

Anyone else found this?

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

No, it's a problem at your side. It looks like your system is already infected.

Reply to
Clive

More than likely your PC is infected and you need to give it a good old clean .... try

for free antivirus software.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Oh ... you could also try a good Crap Cleaner as well ...

Ash

Ret,

Norton Internet Security 2009 shows no infection when I visited that site.

It would appear that it's your computer that has the problem.

Have a look here for some details of the Adware Lop.com

Or you could even look here

And then use Spyware Doctor to remove the problem.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I have Spyware Doctor installed on my system (plus Spyware Blaster, and SpyBot S&D). If I do a scan with Spyware Doctor and SpyBot now they will come up clean. If I visit Screwfix and then do a scan - Spyware Doctor will find the Trojan and remove it for me!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Spyware scans show no infection - until after I have visited the Screwfix site!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

I have Avast, Spyware Doctor, SpyBot S&D, and Spyware Blaster already installed on my system. It's only after a visit to Screwfix that the Trojan is found.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Are you sure it's a Trojan and not just a tracking cookie?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

All I can go on is what Spyware Doctor tells me it is - which is Trojan.lop_com - and which it describes as a Trojan. Spyware Doctor frequently finds half a dozen tracking cookies whenever it does a scheduled scan - but it always describes them as low-risk items which can, in certain circumstances, be helpful.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

After reading this thread I downloaded Spyware Doctor and ran the scanner. It found 8 threats and 47 infections including Trojan.Pakes.A which I have looked at on the web and it is a very high risk. I clicked for Spyware Doctor to fix and low and behold I find I have to pay £30 for the licence. Why don't these sites tell you that a payment will be required in order to use the program fully. They advertise as a "free download" which is technically correct. What I don't understand though is I have Spybot S&D, CCleaner and Adaware all installed ant they find nothing. Is Spyware Doctor 'finding' these threats so I buy the licence I wonder!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I got my copy from a magazine cover disk. It's a full copy although 'last year's' ! It definitely does find a lot more spyware than Adaware, SpyBot S&D etc. It also has a very user-friendly interface and you can configure it to carry out scheduled scans. I rate it highly.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

It seems that this so called Trojan, that has been around for over a year, can only be removed properly (at a cost) by Spyware Doctor. Now call me a cynic but.......

Reply to
Harry Stottle

To restore balance to the world Ret. wrote in snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net

this on line scan...

Reply to
Joker7

Spyware Doctor always throws up a lot of false positives, I used to use it all the time but got so fed up with it. I had it scan my own website just after I had re-launched everything and it found "A problem" which at the time it did with any site that was built via FrontPage 2000.

I think you have to take some of these programs at face value and ask yourself is this likely? Espcially with adware.

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

The program certainly does bring up 'harmless' cookies - although it points out that these are low risk and some users may not want to remove them.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

I know what you mean John ... I've downloaded "Free Software" to clear out the junk and speed up the PC and it found 29,000+ bits of junk and then said if I wanted to remove them I'd have to pay ... my PC is 6 years old and creaking at the seams but if it can handle 29,000+ bits of junk I don't think it's doing all that bad so I'll stick with the junk until the PC finally curls it's little clogs up.

I wonder sometimes if there really are threats , junk etc that need removing or if it's just over sensitive software and smart sales pitch to worry you into buying the licence/software.

Best of luck

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Ret,

Be aware of the false positives.

Earlier tonight I download AntiSpyware from

[1] run the program and it 'found' a host of 'infected' files, and to remove these would cost me $$ - and one of those 'infected files' was a legitimate program, Ashampoo Burning Studio!

When I dig a little deeper and start looking for the trails that these infections leave in the registry after installation - I did not find a single one that belonged to any of them...draw your own conclusions.

As a matter of interest Norton Internet Security 2009 nor Spybot Search and Destroy (both fully updated) even sniffed at a problem with any of the malware that was raised by AntiSpyware - so I suspect that this program (which has been demoted to the HOSTS file by Spybot) could be considered as Panic Ware.

[1] As a result of not being able to connect to their website on the computer I'm using now (I downloaded it using a different, unprotected computer) and before I found their site address had been 'dumped' in the HOSTS file.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Oh I agree that there is a lot of this 'panicware' available for 'free download' - which then, after giving a multitude of false postives (and frightening the ignorant!) then requires payment to enable it to 'deal' with the problem.

PC Tools software (which includes Spyware Doctor) is generally regarded as good quality stuff however and although it does highlight cookies etc - it does inform of the level of risk which, of course, is low for such things.

I also use PC Tools Registry Mechanic which I rate highly. It invariably finds redundant registry entries after programs have been uninstalled and which have been 'left behind'. I recently downloaded Windows Live Mail to give it a try but uninstalled it after a few days. A scan with Registry Mechanic found 28 redundant registry entries related to Live Mail which had not been removed with the uninstall.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

I quite agree with your rating for Registry Mechanic, and in fact subscribed to it for a few years - up until last year when I received their renewal notice for nearly $30 American which equated to around £17 (at the time) - and then found that they actually wanted nearly £30, almost double the dollar conversion (a typical Amercan sales pattern).

I now use the outdated Registry Mechanic to clean some problems (especially those caused by Serif Photoplus 10 not releasing some of its registry entries when closing) and the registry cleaner in free CCleaner for the rest - and CCleaner seems to have become more reliable since I first used it some years ago.

Cash

Reply to
Cash