Removing double glazed unit

I may need to remove my downstairs double glazed window unit (upvc frame) as I will be getting some furniture that may not fit through the door! I'm assuming I CAN remove it, so any tips on how I go about it please? TIA tim

Reply to
tim

I have not actually done this myself, but have watched the double glazing chaps when they come to my home on several occasions. I would suggest that there are 2 of you when attempting to take the window out, purely on the grounds of safety. The beads on the more modern upvc glazing fits from the inside, the older upvc glazing fits from the outside. Remove the beads from the centre of the bead length. Gently push the glazed unit from the opposite side (This is where 2nd person is useful). Replacement is reversal of above.

Reply to
the_constructor

The unit may be stuck in with sponge double sided adhesive tape, in which case you will need to cut through the tape with a Stanley knife,or similar to allow removal. The tape should expand enough to be clearly visible, if fitted, when the external beads are removed.

Alternatively they may be the older system where the external beads are locked into place with an internal "rubber" locking bead. In which case you need to hook out the internal locking strip prior to attempting to remove the outer plastic beads. An examination will determine which sort you have.

I've had Anglian here a couple of times for warranty work and they always used good quality paper strippers ground down to about 1.1/2" in width applied to the centre of the internal (in their case) plastic locking bead, presumably this procedure would also work with the external variety.

Excellent advice regarding the second person. It doesn't take a very large double glazing unit to weigh an awful lot of pounds!

Hope this helps.

Christiano

Reply to
Christiano

If it's toughened glass (and large panels should be), just touching a corner of it on concrete or brickwork whilst moving it will normally result in the whole thing shattering -- the edges/corners are very vulnerable when out of the frame.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could be tricky if you didn't see the sealed units being fitted in the frame. Mine are held in by upvc beads on the inside. These beads can be removed by pushing a sharp flat-bladed scraper into the gap between the bead and the window frame, preferably in the middle of one of the longer beads. The scraper needs to be at right angles to the glass so that as the bead comes out of its groove it bends across the surface of the glass. The beads are usually a tight fit so care has to be taken not to break the glass.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Hi

We recently had a three piece suite delivered, company supplying assured us they would be able to get it in the house. Terraced house with a sharp turn into the living room through the front door. Delivery day I'm at work, wife at home. It won't go in, wife upset, lots of head scratching. We'll take the window out for a tenner missus, ten minutes later suite is in, window back in place and they've earned a couple of pints.

Hate to think what would have happened if they ad broke it

Steve

Reply to
Steve Walford

Although your wife had given permission for the window to be taken out, the delivery men would be responsible for any damage unless they had warned that damage may occur as a result of their actions

Reply to
the_constructor