Double glazed unit in wooden door

I have a LF&B door in my kitchen and I an going to open up the top section and fit a double glazed unit in there. What would be the best way of fitting the glass against the beads, silicone or putty or a rubber seal.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I would use silicone.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

if LFB isn't there a diagonal bit of timber across it?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes, but that's being removed. It isn't attached to the actual door frame just the timber on the front of the door which is what is being removed to replace with the glass unit.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Don't forget that, for best resistance against movement when slammed, the glass should be installed against the rebate from the side towards which it opens, normally the inside.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As silicone has be advised just got a tube of Dow Corning 799, now just hope it's not raining monday

Reply to
Trevor Smith

With a heavy double glazed unit I'd use pinned on beading anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will this door get slammed and which side is the beading. . Silican is good as it does absorb a lot of energy, however the beading fixed last needs to be pretty well fastened, which can be a challenge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Trevor Smith writes

When I installed some DG units in wooden frames, I used plastic spacers to hold the DG unit up from the bottom of the rebate.

Reply to
chris French

So whats going to stop the door sagging terribly?

NT

Reply to
meow2222