Cold tap hammering noise when turned on

Fitted a new pair of kitchen sink taps for my mother-in-law a few weeks back. The hot one is fine.

If you turn the cold one on maybe half a turn to a turn, it makes an awful banging noise and the water flow pulses a couple of times a second. If you keep turning it on, it stops this and flows freely.

I'm satisfied this isn't an airlock or anything. In fact, if I press down hard on the head of the tap as I turn it, it's fine. Ditto, if its left in the posiiton where the noise occurs, turning on another cold tap elsewhere in the house stops it too.

Thinking maybe the mains pressure is a bit high, I've tried turning the stop-c*ck down a bit, but to get the banging to stop that way means I have to almost turn it off and the pressure is then a bit too low.

My conclusion is the tap valve must be a bit iffy even though its a reasonably good make (Pegler), causing it to bounce with the pressure.

Thoughts?

TIA Midge.

Reply to
Midge

I have found that some solid support for the pipes leading to the tap can help. If you remove the resonance by holding the pipe firmly at a particular point the knocking disappears.

Reply to
ARC