noise when tap turned off

When I turn the cold tap off it goes `clunk` one loud knocking noise, its recent as never used to do this.

Any thoughts on how to cure?

Reply to
ss

Airlock? Try turning on all the taps at once.

Reply to
Scott

Just the one tap?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No, all the taps at once in the hope of letting the air out. That was what my plumber advised. Worth a try, I would suggest.

Reply to
Scott

Water hammer? Is the tap fed from the rising main?

Mike

Reply to
mike

It will be the stopcock.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Exactly, hence the question about the rising main!

Mike

Reply to
mike

Okay, calm down and tell the OP how to fix it. New washer?

Reply to
Mr Pounder