Photocell/bulkhead problem

I bought the 100W Bulkhead with photocell, code 83449 from toolstation.co.uk. Fitted no problem, but as it goes dark in the alleyway the light flickers for over 1 hour before fully going on. Is their a problem with the photocell, do I need a special bulb(they suggest 100W GLS BC lamp), that will just go on/off ?/
Any ideas
Thanks.

Have you fitted a CFL?
Peter