Bulkhead lamp knockouts

I'm referring to this bulkhead fitting:

ordered 4 of these recently. Nice fitting. However the knockouts don't seem to be knockouts at all - they are slightly recessed areas in the case which even a stiff blow with something sharp or a small ball pein hammer won't shift.

I suppose having tried the brute force technique I ought to give ignorance a try.

Anyone had problems with knockouts?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

The fittings are weather sealed and the knockout points are only marked to keep you in the centre when you drill them out with a hole saw.

Reply to
BigWallop

I found the same with the Screwfix ones I ordered.

In the end I used a sheet metal punch - the type where you drill a 10mm hole and then assemble the punch and coller through the hole before tightening the punch into the coller. Worked fine (after I worked out I had assembled the coller the wrong way round and the side I was using was intended for the next punch down in the size range - thought it was bl**dy stiff to turn!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I am much relieved that I am not going completely bananas!

Good idea! What size punch are these holes anyway? I'll get my micrometer on the job later today.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

3/4" or 20mm. If you think you'll do a lot of this sort of thing, get a Q-Max punch which produces a perfect hole, rather than a hole saw, and costs less than a complete single size hole saw. The disadvantage is you need access to both sides of the job.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

These are ideal if you're doing this type of job all time.

BigWallop

I've had 2 of these lamps, only in black from local factors, and found the same problem. The plastic/polycarbonate seemed to be quite brittle so I didnt get rough with the hammer / punch / swrewdriver, so took a 20mm hole cutter to it which worked a treat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wanted about 20mm for connecting to plastic conduit. The punch I used was like the following set from CPC:

John Rumm

PoP

Reply to
PoP