"Traditional Style" Bulkhead lights.

Hi Group,

I wonder if one of you can help me out with a problem ?

I am looking for a source of the traditional type bulkhead light fittings - I'm sure you know the type. Cast iron (or aluminium) base in an oval shape, with knockouts for conduiting directly in. Thick glass dome, also in an oval shape, on top, covering a standard GLS type lamp. Sometimes seen with a wire guard over the glass for added protection.

These lamps could once be seen anywhere a rugged light was required, but over the last ten years or so they seem to have vanished completely. In three weeks I've only managed to spot one - and that sadly was stil in use. The fittings are required for installation in the battery room and mechanical locking room of a heritage railway signal box - a pretty harsh environment, but one that needs to be equipped with regard to the historical surroundings - so modern fittings would be unsuitable. Unfortunately nobody seems to make the old type now, although pale imitations exist in the form of cheap plastic copies, available for a few pounds from sheds and bulk lighting outlets.

Actually, that's not true - there is a company that still makes *extremely* rugged ones, but they cost GBP 120 each, plus the VAT. See

They're exactly what we want, but we really cannot justify spending that sort of money on light fittings.

I would be extremely grateful if somebody could give me a pointer towards a source of these things, preferably somewhere around the Midlands. New or second hand - neither would be a problem (second hand actually preferred as they come "pre aged" ;-)), but price will be a factor as we are a volunteer organisation that exists on donations.

I will of course be extremely grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Regards

Shawn Sanders

Reply to
Shawn Sanders

Don't know about prices (and their lighting catalogue is "trade only"), but this looks *really exactly* like what you want

also have well glass bracket lights, which I suspect will come in handy somewhere too :-)

Actually, that's not true - there is a company that still makes *extremely*

Those are Ex rated, so will be expensive.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Look for bulkheads. They have a couple of pages worth in the cat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A quick Google found these

?r=k&feature=20965