photocell capacity

I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w 2-D fittings. Will this work, or do I need a specific type of photocell to drive these?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
bob

It should state whether it's suitable for low energy and or fluorescent loads, as many are not. And it's not just a question of the current handling capacity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd suspect that one is "a flasher" (search back on this ng). It bleeds a little current through the lamps to power the photocell circuit. It'll work, but occasionally this current is enough to trigger a flash from one of the lamps. Using a simple relay would avoid this.

Ignore me if anyone has tried it, with this particular unit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I suspect you may be right Andy, but I also think that the current through the relay will not be enough to feed the little bleeder ;-), such circuits need a 60W or so incandescent to work.

To the OP, if you buy this and it has a neutral connection then it sounds ok, if not then beware. If it turns out not to have a neutral, then you would need a 60W incandescent load in the circuit too, not very energy efficient tho.

I had a look at ones on tlc but they have minimal info of this point too. btw: My experience relates to PIRs not 'photcells'.

Reply to
fred

Apart from the concerns raised by others 2D lights are very lethargic about getting up to full brightness especially in cold weather when they can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a decent light output. Unless you expect the lights to be on for a long time incandescent may well be a better choice.

Reply to
Peter Parry