Good portable emergency light?

I popped past Mums earlier and she's given me a couple of old torches to look at because she has seen mention of power cuts and 'she tried all the torches and none of them worked'.

So, whilst I'm sure I can get them working, they are likely incandescent and so probably not give the best run-time for the size etc.

Now she's probably forgotten I gave her at least 3 of those plug in rechargeable movement detection / torches (that I think come on automatically if the power fails) but I wondered if anyone had an recommendations / thoughts for a decent 'lamp', something that would light up a room but that she could carry / reposition that would last a good few hours please?

Again, I'm looking for something someone here has had personally experience of and thought / thinks was a good bit of kit.

Reliable, easy to operate, light ish (she's still pretty able for a

90yr old so it doesn't have to be featherweight but nothing based on a car battery). ;-)

I've got a genuine Tilley lamp and know it puts out a fair bit of light [1] but not something I want Mum playing with. ;-)

I also know you can get things that look like Tilley lamps but are LED based but didn't need that 'style' if it was just a gimmick, a play on the real lamp etc.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The last time we used the real Tilley lamp was at the after party at an 'Arb' show and it lit up a large gazebo thing for about 20 people with no issues. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Something that sits in a holder and is on permanent trickle charge, I suppose.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

We have one of those small, light, plug-in charger-with-torch things.

It works as advertised. But not that useful.

I actually use an acceptably decent LED torch. Uses 4 rechargeable batteries. And if the torch isn't to hand when the power goes off, just use my mobile phone to find the torch.

I purposely chose one with a good light quality - must be close to a decent 4000K LED lamp. That makes it much more acceptable than the typical blue-ish cast of LED torches. Has multiple light levels which allows extremely long life at low brightness. But two issues I don't like. If I carry it in a bag, the switch is far too sensitive so very easy for it to come on accidentally. And it would be so very convenient if it charged from USB.

I'd get something similar again, if needed.

I also often carry a USB powerpack. And have a tiny silicone LED lamp that plugs straight into USB. Would last days, if needed! Cost of lamp almost nothing from Aliexpress. Powerpack used for phone anyway so no additional cost (from my point of view).

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

had two brands of chinese ones plugged into and rechargeed in a 13a socket in the hall that came on as you passed by and you could lift them out and use them as a torch but with all things chinese they didn't last long.....couple of years each

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Whatever happened to that wonderful fluorescent torch Pifco made that ran on D Cells, I've had the same batteries in it for a few years, and whenever anyone has to go to the cupboard under the stairs its on for an hour or so. It is obviously quite efficient. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

RNIB sell little lamps that you just press to give reasonable illumination, and they also sell task lights, some of them rechargeable. I'm sure they are around elsewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My suggestion would be for at least one *fixed* mains powered emergency light in the kitchen or living room where she spends most of her time. (and test it periodically) We have two such true emergency fluoro lights which are getting a little long in the tooth now. 4.5Ah battery ~2hr.

Inspection style LED torches are hard to beat for price performance these days under a tenner for one that will last a few hours. Bright enough to see by though not to fully light a room to normal levels.

The other thing to consider seriously is the risk of being away from any source of light after dark when there is a power cut. Mains has become so reliable these days that most people cannot imagine that scenario!

3M had a lovely little filament lamp based torch made of a dayglo plastic doped with strontium aluminate which after daily exposure to sunlight would glow for up to 8 hours. You could always find it in the pitch dark - you could even see by its glow once dark adapted. Unfortunately it failed to sell as people could not imagine how useful it is to be able to find an emergency light in total darkness :(

This tape I think uses the same passive technology:

A few pieces of this stuff where it will catch the sun in daytime means that even in the pitch black you will still have a little bit of light.

You can obtain the same effect with modern LED torches by bridging the on/off switch with between 1M and 10M so that it glows very dimly.

I'd suggest a couple of AA powered inspection lights like these:

At 3W it would only be good for an hour or so on a set of AA batteries so you may want a 1W unit or something that takes chunkier batteries.

It is a trade off between output, duration and weight.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You can readily buy the powder itself. Can then use it in, say, PVA and achieve all sorts of results.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

OP's mother is supposed to have three of those already... I suspect:

1) They now have dead rechargeable batteries due to being cooked on "trickle charge" or by being kept in a drawer unused. 2) Most wall sockets are at skirting height. 90 year old mother may have difficulty reaching that low down. 3) Won't "light up a room". 4) Won't have a runtime of "a good few hours".

Our "light up a room" for "a good few hours" are camping gas lanterns. One has a piezo ignitor so no looking for matches in the dark. The self sealing "click" gas canisters avoids the problem of removing a pierced container type one before it's empty. Not really suitable for 90 yo mother for similar reasons to the Tilley lamp. Though at least you don't have to pump it up and mess about with meths preheating a gas lantern.

We also have a Uniross DL828 rechargeable twin 8" tube flourescent lantern. Reasonable light and long runtime and shelf life from a 6 V SLA battery. It left plugged in on "trickle charge" and set to come on when the power goes. Again the "trickle charge" will kill the battery. I just cycle it a couple of times one a year. Trouble is google only coughs up two images of it, so getting one might be problematical.

Similar to the wall socket emergency torch Aldi had some 3" dia, self contained, battery operated (3 x AA), so can mount anywhere, lights a while back. These have a PIR and light level sensor, so only trigger whith movement and low light levels. They do switch off after about a minute but instantly retrigger on movement if the light level is still low. They come with a twist action base so can be removed and used like a torch,. The base also has, keyhole fixing holes, a magnet and hanging hoop. Out of the box they are F'ing bright, too bright really, instant spots before the eyes if you glance at one when it's on. The "low" light level is also bit high but both the brightness and light level can be adjusted by changing/adding resistors inside. There is probably a post from me about that in here, somewhere. Out of the box one would almost "light up a room" but the auto switch off could be a PITA.

I've got a couple as automatic, "light to find a torch by" light sources, work very well and battery life is good, even the one that gets triggered at least a couple of time a day is still on it's first set of (supplied) alkaline batteries after about a year, note this is after the brightness mod.

"Lightway 15 SMD Motion Sensor Light", no longer from Aldi at <£5 but loads of similar ones on eBay/Amazon at around £8. The little things like mounting options detachable base, auto/off/on slide switch, etc may well vary and make sure it's 3xAA not AAA. B-)

I've yet to find a battery light source that can match the omni-directional, light level and runtime a gas lantern can do on a small cylinder of gas. ie the equivalent of a 60 W GLS bulb for around 6 hours. It ought to be possible, a mains 8W "filament" LED bulb chucks out about the same as a 60 W GLS. 8 W @ 12 V = 600 mA for

6 hours = 4 Ahr a small SLA...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Not sure my solution is really suitable for a 90 year old Mum, but we have a Calor Gaz lantern and it is wonderful. No worry about keeping it charged or finding batteries, and one lamp easily lights a whole room, and is light (!) enough to carry around if required. We also have a couple of matching single burner Gaz stoves, which share the same cylinder type. Easy to make tea with a camping kettle.

We have ordinary torches too, of course, and several candles (with spares, and matches/lighters), all in holders, from 'Wee Willie Winkie' to a posh one with glass funnel. Even a paraffin lamp, but not Tilley, just a wick and flame with glass funnel. Again, not necessarily the type of thing recommended for a 90 year old.

Reply to
Graeme

If you want to light up the room, you need a work light. One of these, perhaps:

It says 3 hours run time, but I think that's on the high setting. Should be twice that on the lower setting.

Plus, she needs a small torch to carry around with her and keep by her bed. So, two or three of those. Plus a pack of batteries.

Reply to
GB

That's another partial solution but unless regulary tested the batteries get cooked by being on constant "trickle charge". We have one in the boiler room, where the CU's are, that cooked it batteries, found out the hard way. They also only have a nominal 3 hr runtime and non-replaceable (as in standard dry cells) batteries, once it's flat, it's flat...

The previously mentioned battery "motion sensor lights" are sort of self testing if normal activity triggers them occasionally. Like entering the room with curtains closed before switching main light on.

Aye, even if a failing light bulb trips an MCB the vast majority of the population have street lights, they never get exposed to a moonless, overcast night when there is absolutely zero natural light. Take away *all* man made sources and it's very dark, eyes open unable to see *anything*, unvervingly dark. Once experienced one appreciates why all manner of myths and legends about what lurks out in the darkness exist.

Aye, in the otherwise totaly dark, unable to see anything, scenario even the tinyest glimmer of light can keep you orienated. You still can't actually see anything but that tiny glimmer gives you a static reference point.

Depends on how good 90 yo mothers night vision is and how alert. A few stratigically place bits of luminous tape might be all she needs to carefully make her way to the "torch drawer" or WHY. Though TBH a motion sesnor light near her chair is probably better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can scatter a few of them around the place to act as a safety reserve in the event of a power cut at night. It's my preferred approach.

Have just checked all the batteries and ordered a few more for double coverage for the power cut season.

Then a wind up lantern.

I have no idea what the viability of the 20+ year old Honda generator we had (but never used) for caravanning is ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Now might be a good time to service it. We have already had one margin call on UK electricity availability and winter hasn't started yet.

Reply to
Martin Brown

With a 90 year old - especially one who isn't technically savvy - I'd be inclined to fit maintained lighting in critical parts of the house. It should at least be fool proof.

BTW, Lidl some time back did a very nice emergency light - or just general purpose inspection etc one. Basically a outdoor LED floodlight mounted in a frame so you could adjust where it pointed, with a built in Li-Ion battery. Good and bright and runs about 4 hours on a charge. And large enough not to get lost in a drawer. Only disadvantage the usual wall wart charger. Which could get lost.

Sitting on a table pointing upwards so the light bounces off the ceiling gives a more than adequate emergency light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Correct.

That could be the case but one (from the kitchen) does get taken off it's holder now and again by us, if *we* need some extra light (even if Mum doesn't).

Nope, in this case they are all used, one by the front door, one in the kitchen and one in the garage (the garage fluros take ages to fire up so you are turning them off at the other end of the garage before they have come on, assuming you have made it there without tripping over). ;-)

True of the one by the front door, the other two are at a good height.

They will enough to be able to move about safely but not to do anything much more (but that could be good enough as a stage one, till she finds her emergency lighting). ;-)

TBF, I don't think we have ever been there with them on to have an idea how long they will actually last and they certainly won't be whatever they are supposed to be from new.

Well, actually, she probably could deal with that (she's possibly not yer stereotypical frail 90 yr old lady, she rubbed down and teak oiled all the woodwork around the lean-to sliding door the other day ...)

For me the risk would be more the heat / fire than her ability to use it as such ... and fumes?

Ok, that sounded quite a good solution.

(as do the current ones Mum has (bought from Homebase I think))

Yup.

These are magnetic or summat, drop onto a holster thing. Flat thing with a torch at the end. They replaced the more cylindrical ones as they failed one by one (often the inductive charging).

And that can be a thing can't it. I was discharging a 36V Li-Ion battery yesterday (testing a new BMS) though 4 x 50W 12V headlamps in series so they weren't at full brightness but after looking at them to check which filaments I was using on each, I couldn't see much afterwards. ;-(

Yeah.

OK.

<Found> I can see why they might be 'bright' as the LEDs are behind a clear lens. I think a 'lantern' type light might be behind more of a frosted / diffusing type glass?

Yeah, I might check those out as well, thanks.

Plus a bit of warmth (good in the winter). Luckily mum has a wall mounted gas fire in the lounge so wouldn't be cold.

Yeah.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wind up as in clockwork or generator/rechargeable batteries? Got a version of the latter fro No1. Daughter when she went off to the jungles Costa Rica for 12 weeks. Think it worked well enough but wasn't "light up a room" brightness.

Do have an orginal, designed for Africa, Baygen clockwork radio, that has a fairly hefty mechanisium I wonder how much power it can generate...

Time to give it a good service? As has been pointed out there has been a margin warning already. Mind you only 7 of the 16 nukes are running at "nominal full power", 5 are shutdown, 4 on reduced power.

4 of the shutdown ones are due back in December.

Ought to run up our set, on load for a couple of hours...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
<snip>

I bought the components to repair the ones like that we (and Mum) has, just a transistor and cap I think in the inductive charger circuit).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There are self-testing ones available, eg

But if mum is getting periodic visits, even quarterly, an ordinary one can be switched off for an hour while the smoke detector is also checked, etc.

I've just remembered to switch mine off now for a discharge :-)

One in the kitchen, one over the stairs, and possibly one in the loo, should keep someone going for an hour or so. If the power cut is longer than that, most people can take themselves safely to bed.

A battery LED lamp with good quality long-life alkaline batteries is probably more reliable than anything rechargeable. Duracell Industrial claim a shelf life of up to 7 years.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I tried a bit of 216 diffusion, one and two layers. I just got a larger softer spot before the eyes. B-) Hence the hardware mod.

The LEDs are still very close to the diffusion though, getting a couple of inches between them ought to make the source bigger thus less bright for the same radiated light level.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice