Immersion heater element length

The immersion heater element in my hot water cylinder has failed. The problem is what length of element shall I get? I can already hear someone saying, 'why don't you take it out first and have a look?' Well that makes perfect sense, of course, but I need to travel a few miles to get a box spanner to get it out first. When I go to get the spanner it would be much easier - and quicker - to get the element at the same time.

The cylinder is about 15 years old and of the indirect type - although not used in mode. It is 36 inches high and the element is fitted at the top. I see two different lengths available at my supplier: 11 inches and 27 inches. Which is it likely to be, or is there no way of being certain?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

When the element is fitted from above it usually is the 27 inch version.

The 11 inch versions are fitted in the side and used on economy 7 setups.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I do see exactly what you mean - I'll try that. Many thanks.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Looking at the angle of insertion - as suggested by John - it does look as if the 27 inch one would fit ok. The only problem would seem to be is whether or not it would come into contact with the heat exchanger.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

The whole point of the immersion (apart from economy7 top up heaters) is that it's lowest point is as low as possible to allow it to heat a full tank of water.

Now if Farmer Giles wants only to heat a third of his cylinder and has a very small bath he can fit an 11 inch immersion.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It will not come into contact with the heat exchanger.

OK so I have only swapped two immersions this year (it is a job I try to avoid).

The threads align the immersion so that it does not touch the exchanger.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for that. I'll get the 27 inch one. In the [unlikely] event that it's wrong, I suppose I can always take it back - be a nuisance, though!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Then the simplest answer would be to get one of each on the basis that you can take back the one you don't use at your leisure.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

27" is what you require for your indirect cylinder.
Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

That makes perfect sense, of course, except for the fact that I don't mind taking things back to be exchanged but I don't like saying to them - "I haven't used this one, can I have my money back please?"!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Two tips. Start spraying the thread with WD40 or similar a few days before you try to remove it. Buy the heaters at Wickes who have a no quibble returns policy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Excellent tips, thank you. I was going to Screwfix, which is about 30 miles away (we live out in the sticks!), and there is a Wickes nearby so I think I'll do what you recommend.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

sometimes the length is printed on the label on the head part

Reply to
AJH

All that's printed is 'NL27PT' - which does seem to suggest 27inch. I'm off to get one now, I will report back.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

It's a Newlec one. The Newey and Eyre website confirms that it is 27inch. The 11inch ones are listed as 'NL11'.

Many thanks to everyone for the superb help and tips.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I was always advised not to drain the cylinder until after 'breaking the seal' of the heater. The logic being that copper cylinders are a bit like baloons - they need the internal pressure to give them strength. Is this still accepted as the best way?

Thanks OJ

Reply to
OJ

There is no need to drain the cylinder at all for this. Quite often there is no means by which to drain the cylinder.

Drain or isolate the header tank and just catch any water that runs out from the immerion hole with some towels.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I had to change my bottom immersion (short) about a year ago. It had only been fitted a few years ago. No matter what I did or used, I just couldn't shift it. In the end I had to replace the whole tank. The long immersion in the top (fitted at the same time as they were cheap, but never used) was jammed solid as well. Really pxxxd me off as what was going to be a half hour's job took over three days as the plumbing had to be altered to fit the connections on the new tank.

Roger

Reply to
romic

You may even be lucky and find an isolating valve twixt header tank and cylinder. Mine has that and it makes life very easy.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Now you've got the hard bit. Unless you're lucky.....

Reply to
Tinkerer