The immersion heater element in my hot water cylinder has failed. The
problem is what length of element shall I get? I can already hear someone
saying, 'why don't you take it out first and have a look?' Well that makes
perfect sense, of course, but I need to travel a few miles to get a box
spanner to get it out first. When I go to get the spanner it would be much
easier - and quicker - to get the element at the same time.
The cylinder is about 15 years old and of the indirect type - although not
used in mode. It is 36 inches high and the element is fitted at the top. I
see two different lengths available at my supplier: 11 inches and 27 inches.
Which is it likely to be, or is there no way of being certain?
Thanks for any help.
Looking at the angle of insertion - as suggested by John - it does look as
if the 27 inch one would fit ok. The only problem would seem to be is
whether or not it would come into contact with the heat exchanger.
It will not come into contact with the heat exchanger.
OK so I have only swapped two immersions this year (it is a job I try to
The threads align the immersion so that it does not touch the exchanger.
That makes perfect sense, of course, except for the fact that I don't mind
taking things back to be exchanged but I don't like saying to them - "I
haven't used this one, can I have my money back please?"!
I was always advised not to drain the cylinder until after 'breaking the
seal' of the heater. The logic being that copper cylinders are a bit like
baloons - they need the internal pressure to give them strength. Is this
still accepted as the best way?
There is no need to drain the cylinder at all for this. Quite often there is
no means by which to drain the cylinder.
Drain or isolate the header tank and just catch any water that runs out from
the immerion hole with some towels.
I had to change my bottom immersion (short) about a year ago. It had only
been fitted a few years ago. No matter what I did or used, I just couldn't
shift it. In the end I had to replace the whole tank. The long immersion
in the top (fitted at the same time as they were cheap, but never used)
was jammed solid as well. Really pxxxd me off as what was going to be a
half hour's job took over three days as the plumbing had to be altered to
fit the connections on the new tank.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.