Corner Bath Panel

Hi All

I am thinking of making a new curved panel for our corner bath, but am looking for some ideas or plans.

I guess I would need to make a backing frame but not sure of the best set up for this as it can have no solid anchor points at the top as there is nowhere to attach it to apart from the bath itself. I would also need some access point near the taps and plug in case of plumbing problems. It also may be a possibility to have an extended rim/ledge round the top but not essential.

My initial thoughts are either wooden panels (Each angled to make the curve) or some type of mosaic tiled finish, perhaps on a flexible MDF backing.

Anyone already done this successfully or have any pointers or ideas which will be gratefully accepted.

Andy

Reply to
ANDY

I have a bath with a semi-circular front, so how I did it for that may help:

Basically, a miniature stud wall. With a frame made from a top and bottom rail and studs between, to suit.

The top and bottom rail made from 2.5" wide thin plywood sheet laminated up. I got an old bit of chipboard, put it over the bath and ran a marker pen along the underside, next to the bath, to copy the curve of the front profile. Then cut along the line and used cramps to pull the plywood strips to that profile, one by one, with glue between. As it was a scrap bit of chipboard, I just drilled big holes back from the edge for the feet of the cramps to slot into.

Tedious bit over, I then used 1" square (or thereabouts) vertical bars between them to make up the complete frame. OK, I dovetailed them into top and bottom but that was overkill - I just like dovetails. Where I needed a little door for access to plumbing, I just added extra studs and a couple of cross-bars- just as you would a stud wall.

If I had wanted an extended rim/ledge at the top, I guess that I would have cut the profile into a few bits of thicker ply and laminated them up, flat rather than vertical - to make the top rail.

It was then a doddle to face the frame with a sheet of thin ply. When the glue was set, cut out the little door-hole from the back and copy the cut-out bit onto thicker ply and put on flush using hinges.

I then carpeted mine to match the floor.( This is my bathroom and there are no men in the house to have any little accidents...)

I tried taking a photo, but it is hard to get an angle where you can see which is floor and which is panel - it all sort of merges into one, like those optical illusion thingies.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Reply to
Paul Saunders

Wow, Thanks for that answer, similar to what I was thinking of with solutions to some of the tricky bits...

Many Thanks

Andy

Reply to
ANDY