Making a bath panel

Hi All,

I am looking to build a bath panel to close off my spa bath so needs to hav e some access (via a tool to meet electric regs) to get to the pumps etc in case they need replacing. The surround is to cover the main side and one of the ends and is shaker style. The only other complication is that there is a 100mm ledge at either end.

So... the question is how best to build this. I have seen some designs cre ating a framework and then pinning the MDF to that although concerned about the thickness as there is only about 30mm from the edge of the bath to the pipework. Also, not sure how I could make it with access without screws/ access panels etc. being visible.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

A photo would assist.

Normally any panel would be attached at the floor (brackets) and at the top bath frame that is often wooden. Why not one piece?

I might be temped to use something a little more waterproof than MDF.

Reply to
Fredxx

Adrian Caspersz

Set the panel into a grooved frame in the way that bookcase glass door do it. Removal is simply lift the panel up fully into the top groove, swing out from the lower one and the panel is removed giving full access.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I did a bathroom about 16 years ago where I wanted access under the bath (access to plumbing and for storing boxes of tiles, and the like). I constructed a very simple frame to provide a 3x2 timber along under the bath rim. From that I hung panels (actually, decorative end panels for IKEA kitchen units) on hinges, which means you can hinge them up outwards for access under the bath. These are not screwed closed, but could be by the addition of another timber on the floor level to screw them to. (I deliberately avoided any timber at floor level to avoid any timber sitting in pools of water, and the panel edges are just clear enough of the floor to avoid sitting in any puddles. Tiles run right to the walls with upstands, even under the bath.)

I was a bit worried how the panels might stand up to water splashes as they are just vaneered chipboard with hardwood edging. I waxed them (particularly bottom edge where drips will form), and they've been fine. Come to think of it, I should probably redo it after 16 years just in case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was expecting to have to fabricate a replacement bath side and end panel (old steel bath, even older house). When I came to look at the dimensions I was able to cut down Wickes moulded plastic panels for modern baths to fit. Far more suitable than MDF. IIRC the top clips under the bath rim, then I have three or four screws into the existing wooden framework. Easy to remove.

Reply to
newshound