Bath panel

Hi,
I'm after a simple bath panel - but not a flimsy acrylic one.
One option is to paint ply (using a ply with a decent face).
Is there anything else, easily available? Foam cored plastic or ply with a plastic face?
Cheers,
Tim
PS Wickes had something:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-White-Gloss-Laminate-Panel-2400x900mm-SQ/p/119930
but WTF - £250 for plastic faced ply??? (and a 28 day delivery).
But if anyone knows something like that at a sensible price?
Tim Watts wrote:

I've not bought one yet, but have these on the list for vinyl-wrapped MDF panels ...
<https://www.bathpanelstore.co.uk/bath-panels-1-piece-43-c.asp
On 30/07/17 22:05, Andy Burns wrote:

I should have said - I was trying to avoid MDF as the slighted leak and it goes weetabix. These panels need to be cut around boxing so there will be edges.
Foil wrapped ply would be better :)
On 30/07/2017 22:51, Tim Watts wrote:

Fair enough. Although mine lasted about 15 years with only a slight thickening at one point along the *bottom* edge - despite the kids soaking it regularly. It only got taken out because we gutted the whole bathroom and re-did it from scratch.
SteveW
On 30/07/2017 21:57, Tim Watts wrote:

I bought a pre-routed, MDF panel years ago, much better looking than plain ply. In my case, I varnished it with a dark varnish and multiple layers and careful brush strokes left a very good grain effect.
SteveW
On 7/30/2017 9:57 PM, Tim Watts wrote:

The Wickes acrylic ones are not all that flimsy (or perhaps they have two "grades") in any case you could always reinforce with suitable battens.
Acrylic would be my first port of call. You might also consider the melamine faced resin bonded plywood that is sold as an alternative to tiling for shower cubicles. That is very robust, hygenic, and long-lived.
On 30/07/17 22:32, newshound wrote:

Thanks - I'll go have a look. These need to be cut around boxing (another reason to avoid the flimsy moulded plastic panels).

I think that was essentially the Wickes stuff, at £250/sheet.
I wonder if anyone sells it at a sane price?
On 30/07/17 22:52, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.claddingstore.co.uk/collections/splash-backs/products/white-sparkle-10mm-1m-wide-1
£55
That's more like it :)

17 years ago I wanted something for the same purpose. I phoned my local plastic supplier (edplastics.co.uk) who said that Acrylic was most suitable, but I chose foamalux 5mm sheet because it was cheaper, thinking that being softer it would mark easily. It still looks pristine.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

On 31/07/17 09:59, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

Signboard? An interesting idea - Brett Martin make this but I cannot find a stockist yet.
On 31/07/17 12:12, Tim Watts wrote:

just pick somne up at Grenfell
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
On 30/07/2017 21:57, Tim Watts wrote:

What about a Corian panel or similar? Already finished, solid acrylic / mineral construction, but machinable with standard wood tooling.
Another option is Selkie board - a WRMDF or WPB Ply cored board but finished to replicate a number of different surfaces including tile, marble, stone, gloss etc. Still pricey, but not £250 a board, and you don't have to pay for a finish in addition. e.g:
http://www.rembrand.co/categories.php?category throoms/Selkie-Board
--
Cheers,

John.
On 31/07/17 02:44, John Rumm wrote:

Corian is an interesting idea... Is it fragile in thin (say 10-15mm) form? It would only have edge support.

I did also find Selkie - and an ebayer in Kent with short delivery times - it's on the list :)
On 31/07/2017 12:10, Tim Watts wrote:

Don't know to be fair - I have only seen it in quite substantial lumps (worktops etc).
--
Cheers,

John.

I have some samples of 12mm here (also Avonite, Hanex etc). It seems pretty robust, though the samples are too small for me to be able to tell how brittle it is. You could always stick it to some studs, I think I was told that 400mm centres would be OK.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

You do realise how much Corian costs?
--
Today is Pungenday, the 67th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Yes. I certainly won’t be using 12mm Corian anywhere!
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

On 30/07/17 21:57, Tim Watts wrote:

MDF. Tiles nicely. Any melamine coated thingummy-crap

Josef Stalin

No MDF - terrible idea in a bathroom (current end panel is dying as it's MDF and is blowing at the foil faced joints).
On 31/07/2017 12:11, Tim Watts wrote:

You can get moisture resistant MDF...
--
Cheers,