Bath panel

Hi,

I'm after a simple bath panel - but not a flimsy acrylic one.

One option is to paint ply (using a ply with a decent face).

Is there anything else, easily available? Foam cored plastic or ply with a plastic face?

Cheers,

Tim

PS Wickes had something:

but WTF - £250 for plastic faced ply??? (and a 28 day delivery).

But if anyone knows something like that at a sensible price?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've not bought one yet, but have these on the list for vinyl-wrapped MDF panels ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I bought a pre-routed, MDF panel years ago, much better looking than plain ply. In my case, I varnished it with a dark varnish and multiple layers and careful brush strokes left a very good grain effect.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The Wickes acrylic ones are not all that flimsy (or perhaps they have two "grades") in any case you could always reinforce with suitable battens.

Acrylic would be my first port of call. You might also consider the melamine faced resin bonded plywood that is sold as an alternative to tiling for shower cubicles. That is very robust, hygenic, and long-lived.

Reply to
newshound

I should have said - I was trying to avoid MDF as the slighted leak and it goes weetabix. These panels need to be cut around boxing so there will be edges.

Foil wrapped ply would be better :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks - I'll go have a look. These need to be cut around boxing (another reason to avoid the flimsy moulded plastic panels).

I think that was essentially the Wickes stuff, at £250/sheet.

I wonder if anyone sells it at a sane price?

Reply to
Tim Watts

£55

That's more like it :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

What about a Corian panel or similar? Already finished, solid acrylic / mineral construction, but machinable with standard wood tooling.

Another option is Selkie board - a WRMDF or WPB Ply cored board but finished to replicate a number of different surfaces including tile, marble, stone, gloss etc. Still pricey, but not £250 a board, and you don't have to pay for a finish in addition. e.g:

John Rumm

MDF. Tiles nicely. Any melamine coated thingummy-crap

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

17 years ago I wanted something for the same purpose. I phoned my local plastic supplier (edplastics.co.uk) who said that Acrylic was most suitable, but I chose foamalux 5mm sheet because it was cheaper, thinking that being softer it would mark easily. It still looks pristine.
Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

There used to be ply with a plastic face both sides - rather like the more common chipboard used in kitchens, etc. Used where more strength was needed. Think it was called BeautyBoard. But pretty expensive.

One option for a nice finish might be to have ply sprayed by a car bodyshop - wouldn't cost to ask them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

....and why do so many bulge into the room. Anyone who has had small children to bathe will soon find they have dented them when kneeling close to the bath.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Corian is an interesting idea... Is it fragile in thin (say 10-15mm) form? It would only have edge support.

I did also find Selkie - and an ebayer in Kent with short delivery times

- it's on the list :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

No MDF - terrible idea in a bathroom (current end panel is dying as it's MDF and is blowing at the foil faced joints).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Signboard? An interesting idea - Brett Martin make this but I cannot find a stockist yet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't know to be fair - I have only seen it in quite substantial lumps (worktops etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

You can get moisture resistant MDF...

Reply to
John Rumm

You can still get phenolic ply in smooth and textured finishes - also quite pricey though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Several years ago, as a temporary solution, I just used the laminate left over from when I replaced the bathroom floor; vertical sections with a couple of battens glued across the back. It looked fine and is still there.

Reply to
LSR

just pick somne up at Grenfell

Reply to