Bath panel

Neat idea, my sort of solution!

Reply to
newshound

According to one vendor on Amazon/Ebay there's also high density MDF!

Reply to
PeterC

I made a worktop for the insert washbasin using the same engineered solid oak I used for the floor. Was an end of range in Wicks, and good value. But didn't say suitable for bathrooms. The worktop obviously gets pretty wet - but has survived well.

I'd be surprise if a bath panel ever got this wet. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fair enough. Although mine lasted about 15 years with only a slight thickening at one point along the *bottom* edge - despite the kids soaking it regularly. It only got taken out because we gutted the whole bathroom and re-did it from scratch.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have some samples of 12mm here (also Avonite, Hanex etc). It seems pretty robust, though the samples are too small for me to be able to tell how brittle it is. You could always stick it to some studs, I think I was told that 400mm centres would be OK.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

You do realise how much Corian costs?

Reply to
Huge

I did similar with T&G cladding:-

Geo

Yes. I certainly won?t be using 12mm Corian anywhere!

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I went to BathStore(.com) in the end - they have some laminated splashpanels, cheaper than Wickes - although still expensive.

However, I can get both panels and a load of pipe boxing in out of one - so ordered.

Theirs are "exterior MDF" - being suspicious, I asked to test a sample with some water.

Few drops in the cut unsealed corner and it certainly did not soak in like normal MDF. It did wet the surface, but the term "exterior" did seem to mean something in this case.

I'll seal the edges too just to be bomb proof.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Scrap yards should be full of foam-cored aluminium panels in a variety of colours over the coming months. :-).

Reply to
Andrew