CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

Page 3 of 5

Any fitter or whatever you want to call them who can't test a simple component like a pressure switch wants shooting IMHO.
But come on mate, describing testing of a pressure switch as "back up" is a bit lame a six year old could do it, lets face it.
Ron.

The backup is me explaining to the fitter how to do it over the phone
--
geoff

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:50:36 +0100, geoff wrote:

IIRC the assessments have alot about recognising load of obsolete gas controls but very little on modern stuff. The other side of assessment is the certified work record. However this is eroded becasue a) The on the job training can be very patchy. b) The assessment centres are competeing with each other to see who can offer entry on the basis of the smallest work record.

There is no on the job training for "current operatives", Obsolete controls are that, obsolete, and there is no work based work record, so where did you hear that??

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:55:54 +0100, ronny wrote:

Any one new will have to have a documented work record, there will have to be some paper work involved. Although the assessment centres seem to require not all that much of it.

not true, our apprentices have been followed all through the college training...

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:50:36 +0100, geoff wrote:

Presumably because he hadn't half a clue about fault-finding, which isn't part of either the training or prerequisites for ACS. However he should have been competent at testing that the boiler was effectively sealed and not leaking POCs into the room after he'd done the fan :-|

analogy
Prolly still hogging the middle lane. Saw on the gogglebox an age ago about someplace in India where the traffic makes Keystone Cops look like a sedate country spin, but the learner drivers' test course is a completely empty stretch of tarmac about 100 yards long with a slight wiggle partway along. This country's driving test is like that in that learners get a full licence without once having driven on a motorway.
And (to get rather circuitously back to the point (whatever it was :-))) you can get a full ACS and CORGI registration without having a clue about fault-finding problems unless they're directly related to combustion safety.
--
John Stumbles

I\'d give my right arm to be ambidextrous

I explained earlier - maybe before your NG was x-posted to, that CORGIs are not allowed to engineer anything - that implies modification IYSWIM
They are only allowed to fit like for like parts (one after another until it works, normally ...)

--
geoff

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell them?

That there isn't any. If they really want the house they'll buy it anyway.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:29:14 -0700 (PDT), clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

What paper work? There isn't a requirement for any paper work to change a radiator. Your not going to tell them you changed the radiator are you, not unless they ask pretty specific questions about the heating system. Vagueness is all...
--
Cheers
Dave.

In article

You have paperwork for every replacement in your house? It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the heating system is in good condition - only a fool would rely on the owner for that.
--
*I\'m out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:29:14 -0700, clangers_snout wrote:

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.
Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but common sense has now prevailed.
Adding radiators is not notifiable either.
Replacing a boiler is.

Is it now 'officially' not notifiable, or just no one takes any notice? ISTR that Prescott's office tried and failed a number of times to get plumbers to form a self-certifying body.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:45:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

yes.
or just no one takes any notice? That was effectively what was happeneing anyway.

I suspect that there are just too many of them to get a "closed guild" going.

Who needs notifying if I replace my boiler? - British Gas :-)
Peter

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the reaction going to be since I DIYed it?
The interesting thing with the Viessmann is that apart from the usual filling and venting proceeder, the only other check needed is that the gas pressure is within limits - all the other settings are automatic. They obviously have heard about CORGI 'standards'.
--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don\'t Ask, Don\'t Tell, Don\'t Laugh.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:35:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

your LA BCO, but since you've already done it prolly best to keep schtum about it ... retrospective wotsits and all that
--
John Stumbles

Ohnosecond

I wish someone could explain to me why replacing a boiler in the same place as the old one should need a BCO to be informed? Does moving the flue all of 2 ft need planning permission?
--
*I\'m not being rude. You\'re just insignificant

On 2008-06-13 00:16:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

This is so that they can check that you have followed the Part L requirements.
For the BCO, it is more exciting than his normal job of putting the little holes in toothbrushes.