best time of the year / weather to apply outdoor wood preserver?

Hi, I have two wooden troughs I want to apply preserver to before lining them and filling with soil.
Can I do this on any dry day when the wood is reasonably dry or should I wait until spring or early summer when the wood (about 1 inch thick) is thoroughly dry?
The dimensions of the troughs are 150cm x 50cm x 40 cm.
I'll be using Cuprinol Ultimate (I think) preserver. Ideally, I'd like to get this done now.
Thanks a lot,
Craven
Craven wrote:

preservative. So sometime in September having been outside all summer.
The best you can do now is to bring them inside to a heated location for as many weeks as you can stand to dry them out then put the jollop on.
Bob