Wood preserver

I am going to be installing quite a lot of 1/2 round flog roll garden edging. It comes pressure treated .... but want to give it some more help.

Thinking of dipping each roll for an hour in a solvent based wood preserver .... as that stuff soaks in well.

Years ago I used to use Cuprinol preserver. That had consistency of paraffin ...and was green in colour.

Don?t know if that is still available .... but be good to know recommendations of suitable product.

Reply to
Osprey

Creosote is the only good one now. It kills plants of course. Cuprinol was copper powder in oil, hence the name. I daresay the original formula could be made fairly easily, but it requires very frequent stirring in use.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Creosote was banned years ago (Carcinogenic.) You get creoCote now. Looks & smells the same. Dunno how good it is.

Reply to
harry

Like most things, Creosote once applied was pretty benign, I guess like a lot of substances it was the person who was exposed to it for long periods who were at risk. I remember loving the smell of that stuff when I was young.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

not entirely, it's still usable professionally

junk, it's just a good brand name.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

our local garden fencing supplier still has both. Creosote is in larger containers. I suspect it was banned for "consumer" use, but still avaiable to trade customers who would have the correct PPE.

Reply to
charles

Only for "non professional" use. Its still readily available in bulk (i.e. 20L containers and over)

e.g. one of many:

John Rumm

You can still get solvent based cuprinol.

I also used some of this recently:

That seems to penetrate well, and also adds some water repelling properties.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've been applying that to my new outdoor railings. It's a lot thinner than I was expecting and dries well before the stipulated six hour gap until you can add a second coat, so I wonder if I shook it up enough before use. It wasn't easy to do that, since I had to more or less destroy the cap/stopper in order to open the tin.

Reply to
Bert Coules