P2R phillips bit -- what is it?

Page 1 of 2
Found these among my 1/4-inch driver bits. Tried to use them for #2 phillips screws and snapped off a couple.
What are these for?
Thanks, FBt
on 4/7/2008 10:45 AM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

box of the screws.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I too saw that in the Craftsman too set.
So what? It doesn't say what it is for.
Google is not always the answer.

What part about the word "drywall" do you not understand?

Yes, it is.

Let me rephrase that...
When & why would you use a P2R bit rather than a regular P2 bit? Are drywall screws specifically meant to be driven with P2R bits? It seems that P2R bits are more broadly purposed than just for drywall...
Looking for more than Google gives on P2R... (although now that I know it stands for Reed-Prince, I do find more). But Googling "P2R" only says it's for drywall, which I find ... an incomplete answer.
So, no, Google is not always the answer.
on 4/8/2008 1:59 PM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

If it works in a Phillips head screw, what the hell's the difference if it is a P2R bit or a #2 Phillips bit?. Just hold on to it until you get screws that it will only fit. All this crap because of a number on a bit.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It is if you don't know dick and are trying to evade the subject.
Steve <g>

What do we need a newsgroup for when we have Google? Every question that's ever been asked and every fact of life is in Google. I say we kill all newsgroups.
Steve

WATCH OUT FOR THAT DOORKNOB!
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:39:54 -0800, "SteveB"

Au contraire, let's kill Google, the leaky sieve, the human rights violator (remember the China tragedy?) and keep the newsgroups!

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

That is supposedly a special drywall screw bit, but I use them for everything if I have them and I can't tell a whole lot of difference except that they are narrower than a standard #2 along the body of the bit.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

while a reguler bit is the 1/4 hex size.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

message

before I retired, we had 2 shapes of Phillips #2. one was normal and the other was real narrow. I don't remember the number designation for the narrow one but I liked it because it sat deeper in the screw and I thought it held better. That's kinda what yours sounds like.

If you would have Googled better, you would have found that some Phillips tips have serrations and are made of harder metal and metal of different metallurgy to resist chipping, stripping and schlipping.
But you knew that, right?
You know everything.
Steve

is.

I'm confused. The other day you said goodbye, and now you are answering me.
I'm soooo confuuuuuuuuused.
Steve

about not having newsgroups and I said bye to you seeing as you were the one complaining. You sounded like you were leaving. I'm not.
And yes, I do know quite a lot. As the saying goes, I've probably forgot more than a lot of you will ever know. [g]

Full of it today, aren't we?
I did once think I was perfect. I never want to be that sick again.
Steve