Flashing Question

We are in the process of building a new home and our General Contractor
has run away with our money. We are trying to move the construction forward ourselves and have run into a snag. In addition to being a thief, he was apparently incompetent. He built a chimney for the fireplace and per code, made it 4 ft. higher than the house but forgot to flash. I am hiring a new roofer and a mason and they are telling me
that the chimney above the roof line needs to be cut and then re-built in order to be properly flashed. Is that true? Can anything else be done? THe CHimney runs along the back of the house and meets the house
in the middle of a reverse gable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Look at the BIA (Brick Industry Association) web site. The Tech Notes are very useful.
I don't understand the arrangement you describe. Perhaps a photo or a more insightful group member can help with specifics. TB
Since the flashing is installed to prevent water from entering the structure I don't understand what the stack above the seam has to do with it. Pictures would definatly help you get more accurate information from this group.
How is the mason explaining this to you? Ask for more details as to what the problem actually is. Are the roofer and mason allied in any way?

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

It seems to me that removing a few feet of brick is not warranted in your situation. Your description isn't entirely clear to me. Either the chimney is at the end of a gable and the ridge runs into the back of it, or it is at the low edge of the middle of a roof. I believe you're talking about the first situation which is less of a flashing problem than the second. In either event, using an angle grinder with a diamond blade and some pointing chisels would make short work out of cleaning out the mortar where the new flashing will go. Similarly, since the house is new, pulling and patching the shingles to allow proper flashing should be virtually invisible. If the chimney is at the low point and water runs into the back of it, then a cricket will have to be fabricated, flashed and shingled.
I do not go along with tearing it down to the roof. When you re-roof a house, a good roofer knows how to flash it. They don't tear it down.
--
remove one of the @\'s unless you are a spammer.