Would WD40 work for masking tape residue on jersey material?

I bought a neat Packer shirt (jersey) at a garage sale, it had a masking tape sticker with the price on, I got MOST of the tape off but there are still a couple of small pieces almost melded to the thread. Would WD40 work on a green jersey shirt to remove the balance of this tape........ without leaving a loss of green color??
I plan to use it on our trip to New Orleans early June we're going to the Brett Farve restaurant in Mississippi. I would prefer to wear it with the left over tape vs. losing the green color in that area so something safe for color is important.
Thanks for ANY help!!! katy
Maybe you can first try it (carefully) on an inside seam.
Bonnie

If it's not acetate try nail varnish remover.
Hope this helps
--
DrClean
www.DrClean.co.uk