New vacuum time: Dyson?

Can anyone comment on the Dyson bagless vacuum? The extendable hose looks interesting. I've never had a vacuum where the extension tools were really good.

mb

Reply to
mb

We've had one for about 7 years. Works great and we use all the attachments. Would definitely recommend.

Viviane

Reply to
Viviane

When I vacuum with my upright (Hoover Windtunnel), I vacuum the floors and keep the attachment hose in hand at the same time, so I can get through the room in one pass, without stopping and playing around with parts for five minutes every time I want to use the upholstery attachment. You know, do the floors and furniture at the same time, basically. When I saw the Dyson, I was excited. The reviews and opinions I had read made me think that it was perfect for this multi-tasking.

But I tried one out in the store (Sears lets you try them, by the way) and hated it. The attachments seemed awkward to me. My husband agreed. We thought that maybe they had it assembled wrong, so we went to Target and played with one for a long time... our Target is a desolate wasteland with no employees in sight. We went over the assembly and usage instructions very carefully. Still, switching over from floor to attachments was not as smooth as I'd like. We came to the conclusion that the Dyson isn't meant to be used in the way I like to vacuum.

Just one vacuumer's opinion.

Reply to
Oldylocks

Thanks for that information. I had read some reviews of the Dyson "animal" vacuum, and it sounded very good. Ironically, one reason I will be looking for a new vacuum is that I want to easily be able to switch to hand tools to vacuum furniture cushions, etc. -- so I will take a *very* careful look at both Dyson and Hoover before I buy.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

how does the air flow switch between floor and attachment on the Hoover? On the Dyson upright I saw, the Dyson floor part couldn't be used with the wand for attachments out of the machine. There must be an air cut off inside where the wand fits. It means to use attachments the handle must be pulled up and out bringing with it the extending tube. this takes about one second and can be done without switching off or having to fit any part ( like on my Electrolux there is a plate to be fixed on the bottom and tube inserted while the machine lies down and is switched off) To put back the wand takes the same roughly one second, just a question of pushing the handle down in the hole and the suction is diverted to the floor beater bar.

Reply to
Sweep

"Sweep" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com:

When the Hoover is put in the upright position, the shift to hose is enabled.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Depends on which model. On the newest V2s, I think that in addition to having the machine locked into upright position, the hose must be placed back in the "hose hole" for the floor suction to work. Didn't work that way in all previous models. I've got 3 versions of the windtunnel here. I wish I could take the good stuff from all of them and make one machine.

-Oldy

Reply to
Oldylocks