Car Cleaning

Page 2 of 2

NuFinish is a "polish".... and not a wax?
Is that what you meant?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Why am I reminded of last week's "Get Fuzzy?"
(fourth one down - Friday) <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid 93&pg=1>
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in message

Yes. I even believe the company tag line for Nu Finish is "Nu Finish, the once-a-year car polish."
Cheers,
Ned
message

They use a wetting agent.

Dont bother to clean the car. By far the best approach.

You can wear the paint out on the edges.

You can wash it with vinegar if you like, but I wouldn't. Or with dish detergent, either. Dish detergent is too harsh. You should use gentler detergents like the various car wash stuff at Wal-Mart or Pep Boys. In a pinch, you can use hair shampoo, the clear transparent kind, as it's less harsh than dishwashing stuff.

Not waxing, and letting the finish rot. After a year or two of ownership, it's a popular option.

You've got more minerals in your water, and/or the carwash treats their water with some sort of anti-spotting stuff.

Not really . . .

Too much abrasive action on the finish, IMHO. Of course, a big element in that is in the sort of pad you're using and how dirty you let it get.
The best car waxing stuff I've found is Meguillar's . . . they had a good write-up in some consumer's magazine, supposedly lasted the longest. If I was going to wash and wax my 36 mpg 5-speed Chevy S10 4-banger truck, that's what I'd use. Nowadays, though, I content myself with the drive-thru car wash around the corner. -Tock
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:09:29 +0100, "Jock Strap"

I use dishwashing liquid to wash my car--great finish even after 21 years of washing. Waxing the car is inexpensive but it takes at least an hour to do a good job. After rinsing I use a "hydro-wipe" followed up by an old cotton terry towel--no spots, no streaks.
I clean (and wax) door edges, under the hood, air cleaner lid, etc.
I have an electric random-orbit polisher, but I use it on kitchen counter tops and sinks. I hand polish the car. A polisher can't get into nooks and crannies.

How much is your time worth? I don't know where you live, but in most major cities, you can get a decent car wash and wax for a few dollars and about ten minutes of your time. I don't see the point in washing a car by hand.

a *decent* wash/wax runs about $15. a drive thru job is cheaper, and doing it myself is cheaper still. i like washing/waxing/cleaning my car. i do a far better job for nearly free.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:07:38 GMT, SoCalMike

If it works for you, fine. I'm sure you have a far better idea of what your time is worth to you than I would of the value of your time. I'm willing to pay the price to have someone do a competent job for me.

parking in the garage, and not living in the desert helps, too

Washing by hand has a few advantages. First, the result is a much cleaner car. Second, hand cleaning/waxing is coupled with inspection (leaks, fluid levels, tire check, chips, loose parts, etc.) Third, the underside and hood of the vehicle is cleaned. My car's paint job is 21 years old, looks good, and I have always washed my car by hand. I take a lot of pride doing any auto work myself, including washing the car.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:09:29 +0100, "Jock Strap"

NOO, do not use diswash soap unless you are going to wax the car right after it. Dishwash soap will strip all wax off the paint. Get some liquid carwax, one of thebest out there is klasse all in one. It's a cleaner and wax in one, and it lasts up to 6 months. It's a synthetic wax. Carnauba waxes are good, but last much shorter than this stuff.
Careful with electric polishers. You can do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing. Go to Autopia (google search) and read up.
thanks to everyone who replied.