Bagless vacuum cleaners - your opinion requested

Page 2 of 2

My mother hates the gold filter. I do use coffee filters. I get the large commercial one and use them to hold pie weights when I blind bake pie shells. I once saw an entire book written on thing you could do with coffee filters.

One other note on coffee... When I have the time and want to bother, my very favorite coffee is brewed in one of my various antique vacuum pots. I've always personally thought they make the best coffee.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

We had one of those when I was a small kid. I haven't used one but I bet my mother (who throws nothing away) probably has it in her basement somewhere.

snipped.... ing to dump and clean it, but it left much more sediment in

Oops coffee farmer back again....If you buy a coffee maker that holds the coffee in a carafe or if you buy a fairly ($90) expensive drip coffee maker, and if you have good coffee, I promise the coffee maker does make a big difference. The very inexpensive coffee makers tend to burn the coffee as it sits on the "warmer" and the water temperature going over the grounds is not correct either.
The person who had a lot of sediment in his coffee in the thread above, needs to get a better grind of coffee.
Just my $.02.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Hey, coffee farmer! Aloha from the desert!
I'm the one who didn't like the gold filter. I bought a top model Braun drip coffee maker, perhaps not the best machine, but certainly not the worst. Came with gold filter, which I tried a few times and tossed in the rubbish. I buy whole beans and grind in a Braun burr-style grinder. Perhaps I'm grinding too fine. Although I to like the coffee I make using the natural paper filters.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really prefer the coffee I make in an "antique" glass vacuum pot coffee maker.
Regards,
--
Wayne in Phoenix

I have heard the vac-pot is the very best. Keep on using yours.
We have a Braun too and good beans and a burr grinder and it tastes yummy every day here- <g>.
With aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

I can well imagine it does! Being a coffee expert, perhaps you can answer a question for me. Since living in Phoenix, I've become addicted to iced coffee with cream, no sugar. I've tried a few times brewing coffee at home for the iced coffee, but it never tastes quite as good as I get from a coffee shop (not Starbucks). I've tried immediately cooling fresh brewed coffee. I've tried brewing double-strength coffee and cooling immediately, and I've tried using a cold infusion process to make coffee concentrate. None have been ideal, so I must be missing something. What would you consider the best method and proportions?
TIA
--
Wayne in Phoenix

This is OT now dear but it didn't say so in the headers did it?. I have no wish to read about coffee in the cleaning group. Why don't you take it over to alt.coffee. They have some lovely posters in the group who know all about Nescafe and the like.

Sorry alt. coffee, we were talking about vacuum cleaners and another poster brought up the gold filter thing. So Mrs. Bonk.... aloha, Cea http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

> Nescafe is a 4 letter word in alt.coffee, and http://www.coffeegeek.com (another good resource for coffee fanatics.) We also discuss hand baskets there... Wayne is very welcome in alt.coffee. Quite a few "alties" own vacuum pots, which you can still buy online btw.
Randy R
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com

Thanks, Randy. I may just wander on over!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

I don't have a coffee maker. I used one at work that had paper filters. I had to dump the used coffee after every use and then every now and again wash the plastic thing that the paper filter went into. I drink tea at home and if I'm using loose I wouldn't use a paper filter but tea bags have paper filters and I use them! My vacuum has two life long filters, I never touch them. It has one that should be washed every six months.
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:20:33 -0400, "Brad Bishop"

snipped
As an aside Brad, I think the permanent gold filters for coffee work very well. They impart no taste, easy to rinse clean etc. I thought the paper left some flavor. I am a coffee farmer and make the recommendation to my customers so that their coffee will taste the best <g> it can.
btw: I do own a bag less vacuum which I like but agree with the rest of this thread that says cleaning the bagless uses time.
with aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

That's exactly the point that Consumer Reports made abt bag less vacs as well...... that it was more of a hassle than just removing a bag and throwing it away
And that handling a bag less vacs canister also exposed you to a lot of dust and dirt which can be very aggravating to someone with allergies.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:09:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

touch anything except a handle that's outside and I never get dust in the air. I bought it because it's a good make imo and because I was sick of bags. I used to have a Vax with a cloth bag and it was a nightmare. The bottom of the bag had to be folded and a plastic clip put on to 'seal' the bag. That clip fell off nearly every time I used the vacuum regardless of how thick or thin I folded and then on opening the canister it would be full of dust and bits and I had to fish about in it to find the clip. I actually sewed up the bag a few times and unpicked the stitches to empty it but dust was seeping through the cloth. Before that I had a vacuum that used paper bags inside. They were fairly expensive and had to be folded just the same as the Vax. The bottom didn't burst so often but the harder cardboard bit used to come away from the paper on a regular basis and spurt dust everywhere.

Roadshark? Is that a tricycle or a coffee maker?
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants