The Battle of the groups

Page 2 of 4

Average commute times are a very important indicator of the quality of life in a region. Looking only at your personal opinions is a waste of everyone's time, including mine.
George Conklin wrote:

Quality of life?! You'd be asking the wrong person the wrong question if you came to my door... But I'd invite you in and offer you a Thai-style rollerblade ass-massage: "A full course of Thai massage typically lasts two hours or more, and includes pulling fingers, toes, ears etc., cracking the knuckles, walking on the recipient's back, arching the recipient's back in a rolling action etc.... Sometimes... the practitioners do the procedures in unison." -- www.wikipedia.org
(Now go back and notice my deliberate and misleading edit.)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On 02 Nov 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

I make that 21 M&Ms...which reminds me; it's almost lunch time.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

...or breakfast...<pushes away from the computer>

I've heard enough, I'm going to free up some pixels. <Plonk>
On 31 Oct 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

It's certainly more than a bit "does/doesn't/does too": like the Monty Python sketch without the charm...
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

hehe.. Does NOT!

Your ignorance is also exceeded only by our stupidity.
George Conklin wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll let you plonk me. ;)

The graph of the commute times for different parts of the world are in Figure 1 of:
http://phe.rockefeller.edu/TIP_transport/transport.pdf
You decide what is typical. It looks like about an hour per day of travel is typical for the world.
On 31 Oct 2007, Jack May wrote

Very interesting; thanks. The figures feel right (although they appear to be "travel time per day", rather than single-commute times).
When I studied with Hans Blumenfeld in the mid 1970s, his intuitive sense (which usually proved to be sound) was that the historical determinant/limiter of city size was the area which could be covered in 30 minutes by the dominant mode of travel (foot/horse/train/car).
That still seems about right, and I think it's why the natives get restless when that average (due to congestion, say) goes much higher, and the mode starts slipping out to, say, a 40-minute commute.
I'm sceptical of George's "average commute time" of "about 20 minutes, more or less"; it sounds suspiciously low.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

That would be 40 minutes per day commuting and roughly 20 minutes per day for other things like shopping, driving the kids to things, and going out for entertainment.
I think his 20 minutes for a one way commute is from census data.
Jack May wrote:

If you, say, knit (for profit) or write (a book to be published/sold), while commuting to your 'other job', does that existentially reduce your commute-times? Do you transcend the graphs, or get your very own statistical differentiations? ;)

day
out
What disgusting doubletalk.
George Conklin wrote:

Cook it as you like, but I'm also being half-double serious...
I mean, if you're already working while commuting, should that not be factored into the statistical analyses? Do some numbers cancel each other out?
...And what about Don-- the ACAD-master-- who, presumably, has to trudge over across the vast wilderness to his office-- completely on the other side of his property-- to practice his Craft?
Sickening, but it is Oct. 31st., afterall.
wrote in message>> If you, say, knit (for profit) or write (a book to be published/sold),

Something you need to learn about George:
He hates the rich, the poor, horses, pedicab drivers, farmers, and questions.
;-)
On 31 Oct 2007, Amy Blankenship wrote

I certainly get the impression that he's not used to having his positions countered with reasoned arguments, which is where all the ad hominem stuff comes from.
Either that or -- more likely -- it's that in his usual circles, he's blustered often and loudly enough that people just don't bother any more -- which he takes as having 'won' the argument.
It's a bit sad, really.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
wrote in message

Stating that averages have no meaning is senseless drivel.
wrote in message

Another thing to learn about George. If he says your point is drivel, you've won. If he says it is _senseless_ drivel, he feels like a whipped puppy.