Re: You know what they say....

--Which begs the question as to whether architects and builders really need to be concerned with making wood floors silent.

How about they just snipe you from the road? I mean, if they know that gun-control is history, why not make sure you're good and dead before they are. How much for a good snipe-gun with a good scope? ...Might be handy in a mall or school setting too.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Then why have laws at all? Again, as a thought-experiment, delete all laws, pack your clipboards and see what happens.

Reply to
Warm Worm

You might have something there, and if it would work-- especially better than what we have now-- I'd be all for it.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news:fkk63i$71e$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

THe problem is that the definition changes a bit depending upon who is talking. A lot of peopl ewant to completely ban all legal gun ownership. I say "legal", because yes, if someone is a criminal, he or she isn't goingto give a hoot that a gun is illegal, only that a gun is power, a way of getting others to submit.

THat's been part of my point. People talk about the thing, but not *why* th ething is used as it is.

The same is true of drug useage. Making drugs illegal hasn't done much at all to curb drug use, but it *has* created drug cartels and drug dealers and all of the violence that comes when one group of drug dealers fights anoter for "territory", the way Prohibition created the Mafia.

Until the "whys" are addressed *honestly*, however, high crime levels will propagate like waves across the ocean.

Thinking of all other people as enemies is very different from knowing that some people are capable of doing bad things, of flashing into violent action. I have no way of knowing whether, the next time I go to the mall, some nut is going to march in with a weapon (gun, machete, whatever) and start killing people.

Some folks prefer to remain oblivious to the possibility. But choosing to *not* be oblivious to it is no at all the same thing as viewing everybody else as an "enemy". I don't think "everyone is out to get me", but at the same time, I also don't have some cutsey disneyesque delusion that everybody is sweet and wonderful and marvelous and reasonable.

Reply to
Kris Krieger