Pretty nifty pictures of a 13 story Chinese building that sat down

Page 1 of 3
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1196064/Tumbling-tower-China-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html
I think it is ever so special that they thoughtfully placed the excavated material right next to the building directing rainwater runoff right to the foundation. Very efficient! ;)

Unless I've lost it and am in another reality, it looks like Google's stretching itself pretty thin, like China: My yesterday's post via Google Groups used an old nickname.
Anyway, ugly, cookie-cutter highrise ghettos as far as my eye could see all too often. You can't have too many fall down (without people in them of course). The China I saw was like... like a wretched Communist-Capitalist Eraserhead-type child. Notice the abundant greenery and trees. What concerns me also is that the Chinese expats here agree with my contentions about the country. You see a lot of (former?) "third-world" rich immigrants that seem to be embracing a lifestyle-dream that we're trying to change out of.
...So when does Google buy into the brick-and-mortar, or are they way ahead of me? Shall I look forward to a lifetime of floppy rabbit-hutch rentals?
Ken: Could you steer me to a pic of your 20x20 please? TIA.

Thanks Ken. My interest is in part with the idea that just about anyone could, and maybe should, build their own house, or at least have a general knowledge of how. We've become much of a society that can't do anything "real" or "old world" for ourselves, and that's potentially dangerous.

Pussy chores make me feel like the man I am.

Agreed, go for it. Don't let the *general knowedge* part slow you down.

Nah, no more so than say, riding rollerblades down an escalator. An idea, a little bit of logic, a decent array of tools and enough materials and anyone can construct a shelter. I'm living proof of it.

Your feminine side?

Yes, if our women-- our other halves-- are our feminine sides. ;)

I've yet to see an action film where they're chasing some guy on rollerblades. (Maybe they've done one?) Otherwise, I should write to the Bond producers before the next film. A well-done rollerblade escalator (etc.-- i.e. in around and over traffic; inside through shopping mall) escape stunt scene might be memorable. I've gone down an escalator in them, but just as a normal passenger standing on one step all the way, rather than spread-eagled along the smooth sides, although the thought did cross my mind... It may be possible. I recently had a security guard tell me I couldn't enter a mall with them on, so I went into the store I wanted from their outside-access door, only to find the guard on his way in from the mall entrance and towards me. I promptly backed up back outside and headed off. One day when I'm in the right mood, I'll set one up to actually chase me clear through a mall, a la http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_house for his exercise. As a footnote, that store recently closed at that particular location! (Well if you're going to chase away all your customers!)

Sure, but a permanent and pleasant shelter-- ideally to some kind of "code"-- is what I'm talking about.

Yes, its been done, several times. Maybe not on rollerblades but...... I recall seeing, but don't remember the name, of at least one flick where a dood on wheels, skates or blades, dunno which, snagged an old ladies purse and took off and somebody like Dirty Harry ran him down. I think this idea was done on Baywatch too.

You'll be much happier if you rely on proven professionals for guidance rather than gov't drones.
My 1st building project I did here in hoosierville was done to (florida) code and the gov't inspectors claimed it was the strongest building in the county. My next 2 building projects were also done to (florida) code and there were no inspectors involved - I learn quick. Its nobodys business but my own what I decide to build.
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote:

You know it man, gotta keep movin'. Its rainy today so that means I'm sorta confined. So I drove 40 miles to pick up a nice piece of 1 x 6 x 4' clear maple. Now, I'm gonna chop it into 6" lengths on the mitersaw, glue/stack and clamp em together and get em ready for the lathe. This'n will be bowl number 9, I'm still experimenting. Then I'm going to build a cantilever shelf on the sanding center I built yesterday to support my bench grinder. After that I'm going to disassemble a 100+ year old floor lamp my mother in law gave me last week and refinish/restore it. I have a nifty Frank Lloyd Wright square stained glass shade I'm going to put on it and I'll install (3) 13watt compact flourescents in it. Outta be pretty cool when its done. Then I'll disassemble the whole thing and ship it to Saratoa, FL to my son for his 30th birthday. It started with his great grandfather in the 19th century and now my son will have it in the 21st century. Just passin it on.....and stayin busy. Hey, I'm voluntering at a local dairy farm starting next week, gonna be working with baby kowz......can't wait....maybe I can get a direct line of some of that raw moo joos.

Of what, the lamp I'm rebuilding? Or the bowl? The maple bowl is still on the lathe with its 3rd coat of poly drying. (This morning I glued and clamped a maple/mahogany/maple shallow bowl blank (about 7.5" dia x 2.25" high) and hopefully I'll lathe it tomorrow.) When the poly dries I lightly sand it with some 12,000 grit micromesh to even it out then hit it with another coat - for 3 coats total. Looks like a diamond when I'm done. Guess what? Last night someone emailed my wife and told her they wanted to buy FIVE of my bowls!!! Can you believe that? Watch your mailbox, it will have directions on how to view some of my more recent creations.

Let's play a game. You list what you think is a superior tool, and I'll either counter your argument or offer up another tool that natives used that was superior to what "whiteman" developed. Deal?

Roy Underhill's bent tree limb wood lathe. LOL

Well, the lathe was around thousands of years before Roy, but that is an excellent example of old knowledge that is still perfectly usable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe#History
Unfortunately, at least for your argument, Egyptians are a mixed race and there's Nubian and Arab in with the mix, so I'm afraid that we can't give the nod on this one to the "whiteman".
Thanks.

Smith & Wesson. :-p

Atlatl, or bow and arrow. I would think that you'd understand the importance of this one. When push comes to shove, you'll run out of gunpowder long before you'll run out of wood.

Apparently that is not the case. Not all of the white devils fell under Custers curse. But the indians did get reservationed, tortured, starved and killed and the rest *were* chastized and welfared. Today, they would have been napalmed, nooked and disappeared. **Some did manage to escape and blend into the ether that surrounds us, Jim Thorpe for example.
But I get your drift, its good to know basics, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_land_claim
Acquired this way I presume:
"Due to laws and policies that encouraged and sometimes required Aboriginals to assimilate into a eurocentric society; Canada is alleged to be in violation of the United Nations Genocide Convention that Canada signed in 1949 and passed through parliament in 1952.[9] This coupled with the residential school system that forcibly removed Aboriginal children from their homes and placed in Christian run schools has led some scholars to believe that Canada can be tried in international court for genocide. Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued an apology on behalf of the Canadian government and its citizens for the residential school system." -- Wikipedia

Canada, land and an Oky 20x20.
"The Okanagan language, known to its speakers as Syilx'tsn, is the traditional language of the Okanagan people of the Southern Interior region of the Canadian province of British Columbia and North Central Washington State. It is a member of the Interior Salish group of Salishan languages. Okanagan is reported to contain the rare uvular flap."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_language
Looks like they got yours and you got theirs.

You seem to have an odd definition for the word "tool". Since you've decided to play loosely with the definition, I will, too.
Corn. Every person in the country, yours, too, eats corn every day. How many people you know ride a horse every day? Have a horse? Have _seen_ a horse this month (excluding on TV)?
Your win is a loss, I'm afraid. Next!
RicodJour> wrote:

I haven't, and probably won't. But then, for some time now I've been cutting corn and especially its derivatives out of my life.

Still not a tool, but I'll allow you your delusion this one more time.
Around the time of Benjamin Franklin, a treaty with a tribe of Indians was nearing its 100th anniversary. The Indians, as you well know, did not know how to read and write (at least according to what is commonly accepted by the whiteman to be reading and writing) - the Indians passed down the treaty orally, from father to son. When they compared the Indians oral treaty to the "superior" whiteman's nifty written treaty, they found they were virtually identical. There had been no loss in one hundred years of a spoken document. Interesting, no?
Now what does this mean? Well, for one thing it means that a crutch took away our legs. Could you imagine how much better you would have done in school, and how much faster you would have completed your edjamicazion, if you had a eidetic memory? If _everyone_ had an eidetic memory? You wouldn't need an address book, you wouldn't need a date book, you wouldn't need a _bookmark_.
So how does cutting off someone's legs and sticking them in a car improve them? Hmmm?
Seems you're down 2-0. Next!

It's okay. You are returning to simpler ways as you find the "whiteman's burden" more objectionable as you age. You are growing in wisdom and relinquishing the unnecessary frills of youth. Eventually you will evolve...into a native.
Let's face it. You live in a self-built building that is little larger than a teepee or yurt, you eschew urban areas for open environs, and you wear as little clothing as the weather permits. Remind me again why you think you're not a native....

YouMan Beans are pattern matching animals. The more your recognize and recall, the more patterns you can match.
You do have a point about my memory, though I do like a nice mammary or two. Memory is the ultimate tool, but it can also be a failing if you don't know how to utilize it.

You can't win for trying. Peyote => astral projection = no mass to move, the ultimate green transport.

Man, are you a pain in the ass! Fine! You're down 3.5 - 0.5. There's your partial credit! ;)

Bzzzt! Sorry, they beat us in horse trading, too. ;)