Ping Ken - Resident Librarian

Hey, Ken. Have you read A New Kind of Science by Stephen Wolfram? I think it's up your alley - I haven't read it and was wondering if it's a worthwhile read.

Getting a PhD when you're twenty probably eliminates the "near" descriptor.

Sure, look at Don. =:O
Yeah, I think I'll have to pick up the book from the library. I just found a loophole in the library late fees. You can claim the book as lost, pay for it, then return it whenever, get your money back, and pay just a dollar as a late fee. Obviously you're losing interest on the money, but interest doesn't seem to have much interest in my interests at the moment.
Wolfram's also got a computer program for the Cellular Automata examples used in his book so you can play around with it. That's the one I'd like to get.

Back about '83 I'd lay on the living room floor for days pounding basic on that VIC20 just to see the look on my kids face when his name lit up randomly all over the TV screen, then my wife would unplug the thing to run the vacuum and everything was gone. Syntax Error line 8364........

Just my opinion, mind you, but intelligence is a uniquely *animal* thing, neurons and synapses. Everything else is simulation, mimicry.

Here's another loophole if you use bit torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4190896/270__Popular_Science_Books I think it includes the one you're interested in as a pdf, and in your BT client, you should be able to deselect all others but it from the download list.

Just did an add-on to my Firefox the otherday called WolframAlpha, haven't really tried it out yet. Google WolframAlpha+Firefox