Nimrod

Page 5 of 5

alt.usage.english for some help.&nbsp; One hopes.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; On 05 May 2005, Kris Krieger wrote (in alt.architecture)<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Nimrod was a mighty hunter, strong, swift, and wily, in Greek (I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; think it was Greek) mythology.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; What I can't figure out is, How and when did the name come to be<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; used to designate unthinking silly people?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It just sounds bad to be called a nimrod.&nbsp; It's like Tookie, Charle Amirault<BR>&gt; was sent to prison in the Fells Acres child molestation case more on his<BR>&gt; nickname "Tookie" than on any evedidence the State had.&nbsp; Some names and<BR>&gt; words just sound bad.<BR>&gt; <BR>Agreed on the sound.&nbsp; Yahoo thinks it was Bugs who was the proximate cause of his downfall, and briefly discusses his biblical origins:<BR><BR><A href="http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040211.html ">http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040211.html </A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; CDB</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=

CDB, would you mind changing your settings? This causes a big HTML-code-visible section at the end, for some of us.

There's a short answer in the AUE FAQ: http://www.alt-usage-english.o rg/excerpts/fxnimrod.html

Sorry to disagree, but I'm never convinced by arguments appealing to sound. The associations are much more likely to go the other direction. Too many people will rave about what a beautiful word "melody" is, for example, but "malady"? Hah.
In this case, "ramrod" occurs to me as a likely comparison. Does calling a man a "ramrod" sound like calling him a fool?
No. Being used sarcastically and cuttingly and insultingly is what makes "nimrod" sound bad.

To see ironic uses even earlier than Bugs Bunny, see Ben Zimmer's post:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt.usage.english/msg/d189680a5971d79a
[snip HTML garbage]
--
Best wishes -- Donna Richoux

"Donna Richoux"

I wonder why.

Hardly... ...I am ok with being called Dick, and, if one's mood turns crotchety, even 'a dick'.

Speaking of 'bad', when I am in a silly mood, I sometimes like to replace 'good' with 'buttery'.
...I am hoping that one day, 'buttery' for 'good' becomes the next oral catch.

Because I'm talking about similarity of sound, of course. You don't notice the similarity in sound between ramrod and nimrod?
If you could suggest another six-letter word ending in "-mrod," I'm sure it would do just as well.

Exactly my point. We attaach different meanings and connotations, not due to the pure sound, but because of the history of use. "Ramrod" has a whole different set of associations.
"Nimrod" has become an insult, but not because "n-i-m-r-o-d" inherently makes an insulting noise, but because people use that noise insultingly. I'm quite sure it began as sarcasm along the lines of "Nimrod was a mighty hunter, but you're not," much the same way people might jeeringly call one another "Samson" or "Solomon" or "Superman."
By the way, "Nimrod" was apparently a brand name for a line of camping tent-trailers in the middle of the 20th century. That's what my husband associates with the word.
--
Best wishes -- Donna Richoux

Donna Richoux wrote:

Yeah, right, Einstein!
I once dated this girl and she was great in bed but she was just such a godforsaken einstein I couldn't stand to be with her for five minutes upright.
Just tryin' it out.
"Carmen L. Abruzzi"

Do you still have her number?
On 6 May 2005 23:38:37 -0700, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"

hair?
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

the switch.
--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

I have heard that using HTML causes a problem, but don't know of any other way to attach a link to the message. If anyone can tell me how, I'll be delighted to do it right. I have Outlook Express.

"Maladie d'amour, maladie des amoureux...", c'est pas-mal beau.

Certainly, it's a very subjective thing, and maybe also subtler than just comparing mrods. /&m/ doesn't produce the same impression at all as /Im/, IMO. As well, it may be not so much the intrinsic effect of those sounds as the degree to which they lend themselves to vigorous utterance. You couldn't give much such oomph to, say, "Sis", though you could hiss it effectively. As Judge Lieblich has suggested downthread, association with other words, like "numbnuts", may also provide a lot of the perceived sound-effect. Here if ever a general survey might be useful, but I don't know how one would google it. CDB

I've typed in the URL and highlighted it, switched to HTML, deselected the link and switched back to plain text to type in the message text. The link seems to stay a link. I apologize for using this group for a test, but what I now need to know is whether this dodge eliminates the annoying HTML section (my reader doesn't show them). CDB
www.stfu.com

link depends entirely on the software used to read it, and not at all on that used to post it. Most newsreaders will, if set up to do so, display any valid URL as a clickable link (anything beginning with www. being interpreted as it was preceded by http://) so you really don't need to go through these contortions. What OE shows you while you are composing the message is irrelevant. What is transmitted is just text; the "hyperlink" is created at the recipient's end.
--
Don Aitken
Mail to the From: address is not read.

"Nimrod" - my google search finds 225 "Results" in alt.usage.english, including Donna's Intro F of the FAQ.
Spread by Bugs Bunny cartoons, if not begun there.
Sorted by Date, that was only 30 Results; which became 40 when I looked at the second set of 20 (plus, 'some entries very similar to the 40' ...).
--
Rich Ulrich, snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

I've wondered the very same.

I've never wondered that.
The web seems to credit it to Bugs Bunny.

As Nimrod invented the skyscraper, are you saying architectects who follow suit are unthinking silly people?

We liked this tidbit though.