Nimrod

Page 2 of 5

Richard MacIntyre wrote: [...]

I don't get your question, I'm afraid. Are you asking whether Elgar, Vaughan Williams et al. are "classical" composers? Personally, I have problems with the term "classical" music, as classical music is a particular period in Western musical history, and I prefer the term "academic music". However, I would regard the above as "classical". And you don't like Trio Bulgarka? Well, there's no accounting for tastes. What DO you like? You might try rec.music.classical, which has a rather high signal-to-noise ratio and a couple of ocean-going trolls, but there are some people there who know whereof they speak.
Will.
Will spake thusly:

I found this yesterday - I have no idea how accurate this is, but I'm impressed by the interface: http://www.music-map.com/j-2e+s-2e+bach.html
It draws a map of items, with the distance between the items related to the likelihood of the same person liking both of them. So the map above has Bach in the centre and other composers, bands and artists clustered around. You can click on any of the other items to re- centre the map. It also does movies and books.
--
David
=====

Spiro Gyra is a (very accomplished) jazz/funk band from the 70s. Or is it the 80s? I think they are still around.
The data in this map can only be as good as the sum of its contributors, so presumably it will get better.
--
David
=====

It sounds like a sandwich: a submarine with feta cheese, perhaps, as one of the ingredients.
--
Charles Riggs

There are no accented letters in my email address
"Charles Riggs" the Omrud

lol... Sounds tasty.
On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:00:37 -0400, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@ncf.ca (Richard MacIntyre) wrote:

Indeed it does. Spyro Gyra orignated in Buffalo, NY. Spirogira, on the other hand, is a lower life form than even a musician-- more of an algae type of thing.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

If I remember correctly, Spyrogyra a type of algae that takes the form of a helix...
--

- Kris M. Krieger

the Omrud wrote:

They are. They were at Yoshi's in Oakland not too long ago. Two of their "biggies" were Morning Dance http://www.geocities.com/opus731/morndnc.mid and Shaker Song.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/

Will wrote:

There have always been handfuls of pop/rock/jazz/etc. groups, whose music has deep classical roots.
Notan
Notan wrote:

For instance, Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo fame, is "classically" trained. He wrote the music for the Simpson's, some of the Batman movies, Beetlejuice, Darkman & others. He also wrote the music for the "Nightmare Before Christmas" and had the lead voice roll. Very talented guy. And, when I'm in a funk, some Boingo helps me out...
Don wrote: Heard this question on talk radio today.
What is the most *played* song in the world? (it is being played continuously, 24/7, somewhere around the world)
I was a little bit disappointed when I found out. Sorta.
Laughter, tears, hopes, fears. Disappointment is sorta the anti-hope.
-- --------------------------------------------- Richard Maurer To reply, remove half Sunnyvale, California of a homonym of a synonym for also. ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Will wrote:

It is interesting, isn't it? I've been puzzling over the large distance between Tchaikovsky and Tschaikowsky, and why the latter clusters near B B King and Melt-Banana on the road to Anthrax. Maybe it's the heavy artillery in the 1812.
There's a Gustav Mahler along with Robert Schumann in amongst Radiohead, Jimi Hendrix and Simon & Garfunkel, but plain old Mahler is way off that map near Shostakovich, Brahms and Wagner.
A quick glance at the books section shows that it only knows a few dozen authors so far, so I guess the music database is also still based on a very small sample.
--
Regards
John

THe thing is that there is no analysis. It's just based upon what people like. So if I say that I like Shadowfax, Simple Minds, Tangerine Dream, Enya, R. Carlos Nakai, Inuit throat singing, Rennaissance music, Brahms, Vaughn Williams, Jethro Tull, Gamelan music, Adiemus, David Lanz, Depeche Mode, Debussy, and, well, you get the drift, and you saw all that on a chart, you'd probably say "What the *hell*...?!?!"
OTOH, if there was a blurb about what they might have in common, it'd make more sense.
Another thing is that classical (in the broad sense) and jazz have a lot in common, because many jazz musicians and composers (if I recall correctly) do have at least some classical training. I havea CD by Coltrain, for example, called "A Love Supreme", and it is certainly as complex in some parts, as melodic/lyrical in others, and as dynamic, as classical music. Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) had classical training and classical themes and elements are frequent in his music.
It also makes sense to me, in an odd way, that Tchaikovsky might be closer to BBKing than, say, even Rimsky-Korsakov, but I'm not sufficiently educated in music theory to offer an actual analysis. The main point is that musical preference can easily go beyond a specific style or even a specific artist/composer. For example, I like the juxtaposition of a lyrical quality, polyphony, and syncopation/rythmic complexity, so those are elements that tend to show up in pieces I like, regardless of "style" or period.
It's not all that different from the way one can like buildings that, superficuially, seem to be almost opposed stylistically - music, after all, is the other side of architecture and visa versa. The same holds true of art and also of science - it's not uncommon for scientists (I mean the research types, the deeper thinkers) to admire someone for their "elegant solutions" - i.e. clarity, the way it all hangs together - tho' the concept is one of those things that is difficult for me to explain verbally - suffice it to say, that there *is* such a thing as "a beautiful experiment" (and science and art are also not at all as divergent as is commonly thought).
So strict style is IMO rather a small part of it. "Style" is defined through dissection of a work. When one's tastes *seem* to be divergent, it's often because the person is experiencing the thing whole, as opposed to dissecting it. Often, tho', people get "stuck" on the pieces and miss the "gestalt".
Overall, IMO there is often far too much separating, division, lementalizing in general. It's almost like trying to analyze Rodin's sculpture "The Kiss" by sawing it up into 1mm-square bits and performing a chemical analysis on all the bits, comparing the internal composition with that of the different surfaces and so on - in the process, the gestalt, which is to say, the art, the reason people like it, is lost.
Hopefully that makes some sense - this is another thing I'm completely unaccustomed to discussing, and it's something I "sense" (in my own odd visual/spatial mode of thinking) rather than "think" (in the more typical linear-logical/a-then-b-then-c verbal mode of thinking). So it's difficult for me to communicate it verbally - but hopefully some of the above will suffice :)
--

- Kris M. Krieger

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.usage.english.] Kris Krieger wrote:

Oy!
"John Holmes" <see sig> wrote:

Or perhaps it's in order to make it more convenient for Beethoven to roll over and tell him the news?
--
Roland HutchinsonWillplayvioladagambaforfood.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
Roland Hutchinson wrote:

Oh dear, my first STS problem for weeks..
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
Laura F. Spira wrote:

One is pleased to have been service.
--
Roland HutchinsonWillplayvioladagambaforfood.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
Roland Hutchinson wrote:

"_of_ service", I mean, 'course. Gotta start proofreading _before_ posting.