Finding home architects that specialize in energy efficient homes?

Page 2 of 6

Derek Broughton wrote:

Yeah, the common pattern is that Dan Brown can't write very well. I got sucked into a few of his books, primarily as long airplane flight fodder. At the big ending of all his books I usually end up rolling my eyes at the outcome. Since your reading "Angels & Demons" I'll just give you a warning without spoiling anything. Just look out for a helicopter over the Vatican. The operative word that will come to mind, as it did mine, is: PaaaLeeaasee. ;-)

Derek reads stupid books? ;-)
gruhn wrote:

Derek reads anything. At least I can read...
--
derek

I'm not saying I have any evidence, but have you considered the idea that maybe you can't read, but you are insane?
Throckmorton, not the walrus filch.
gruhn wrote:

bad Illumaniti conspiracy book I'd read (Shea & Wilson, "Illuminatus"), and discovered that it appears to be one of those few books I've ever considered bad enough to get rid of... I'm still showing signs of sanity :-)
--
derek

Hooray!

I do agree with you about the pace of the development. Maybe its a case of lack of importance/income generated or maybe some technologies are just being "held" back by more established, competing industries. Combination of both? I'm not talking about conspiracy theories, just good old trying to maintain your market share. Kind of reminds me of the development of more fuel efficient/alternate fuel vehicles. sssssssllloooooowwwwwww.
My answer: The Illuminati are behind it.

Well, there you go spoiling my day. Now I need to get out and shoot some golfballs into the woods to clear my head.(see your other thread other) ;-)

"Solar"? It helps to distinguish solar electricity from solar house heating with sunspaces, which can be 100X cheaper per peak watt...
Nick
3D Peruna wrote:

Little???
30 years ago, I could have afforded a solar hot water collector, but my PV system would have been out of reach.
Solar hot water has got better, but not a lot cheaper. PV, otoh, has come down by at least 50% in that time. Still not cost competitive with utility-supplied electricity, if you have a grid connection, but it has made it cost competitive for those of us who are some small distance from the grid.
--
derek

Check out the solar pond at
http://BuildItSolar.com
Nick
Tired of Iraq? Do something about it. Learn to halve your energy use while having fun with math and science.
Join PE Drew Gillett and PhD Rich Komp and me for a workshop on Solar House Heating and Natural Cooling Strategies at the first Pennsylvania Renewable Energy Festival on Saturday Sept 24, 2005 near Allentown. See
http://www.paenergyfest.com/workshop-info.shtml

Yeah, but I could make a solar hot water collector cheap in the 70s. Now I can get one with a glycol loop & heat exchanger that will run maintenance free for years, even in very cold Canadian winters . But they're not really cheaper than they used to be.
Your solar pond doesn't cost much in materials, but it's also not suitable for most Canadian winters, so it's not maintenance free and my time is valueable.
--
derek

It needs a north reflector and more insulation for good performance in cold places in January.
Nick
Don't miss this opportunity to have every solar question you ever asked answered in three different ways...
Join PE Drew Gillett and PhD Rich Komp and me for a workshop on Solar House Heating and Natural Cooling Strategies at the first Pennsylvania Renewable Energy Festival on Saturday September 24, 2005 near Allentown. See
http://www.paenergyfest.com/workshop-info.shtml

Well I enjoy applied (and even some 'pure') mathematics. Write simulation code for a living (our motto: "Vos volo fidelitas, vos non tracto fidelitas").
But in my experience, very *few* people consider solving PDE as 'fun'. Nor researching fluid mechanics and heat transfer. This is part of the problem with 'dumbing down' all the issues. People just aren't interested in the details, they just want 'sound-byte' sized answers.
daestrom
[ ... ]

Heh, I *wish* I could do math. I can struggle though some basic geometry and otehr such stuff that I use when I'm modeling something, and I hacked my way through some JavaScript but am mostly just one who adapts available scripts to do what I wan to have done.
I canlearn, to at least an average level ofproficiency, pretty much anything I put my mind to, but no matter how many times I've gone back to Calculus, it simply will not stick in my brain. It's so irritating.

If "God is in the details", the problem is:     So is the highway madness =8-O
;)
- Kris

I'm holding 17,000 resumes from India & China. Folks who mastered calculus the first time around. And they're willing to work for 25% of what you're getting.
Maybe you can emigrate to Fukian Province and work in their factory cafeteria, loading the used chopsticks into the dishwasher.
no_child_left snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.sg wrote in

What the F*...?
My reply: http://tinyurl.com/4qsy5
- K.
Derek Broughton wrote:

Please note the orginal langauge "little significant change in net cost to the consumer." If there had been significant change, well, we'd have seen significant change...
3D Peruna wrote:

I note the original language - and I'm saying we _have_ seen significant change. 30 years ago, only complete back-to-earthers had PV systems. People for whom the cost was irrelevant compared to the chance to get out from under the thumb of "the man". Now, I know half a dozen people who, like me, are absolutely middle class Joe Average. We are using PV and wind systems not because it's right (even though we all believe it is) and not because we can't stand being beholden to the utility company (even though we're happy we're not), but because it is the cost-effective way for us to go. It's still not a cost improvement of the sort that would get everybody doing PV (nor should they) but it has taken PV out of the realm of the extraordinary and into the area where it _sometimes_ make economic sense.
--
derek

Don wrote:

No, it shouldn't. I'll grant you uncommon, but not rare. It's not at all hard to find a place in Canada where it's going to cost at least $10,000 to bring in grid power. If that's your starting position (as it was mine) then PV is a no-brainer. However, 30 years ago, it _would_ have been rare to encounter a situation where PV made economic sense.
--
derek

Derek Broughton wrote:

Your situation is unique and therefore not applicable to the guy who needs about 50' of wiring from the grid. In fact, it's still extraordinary. "Sometimes" makes economic sense is too rare and only applies in situations like yours, which are rare even today.