Balloon Framing

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/2493478046_acc610dfdf_o.jpg
;)
Just a hello to the regulars and to say that I think of you sometimes. I might drop in later this week.

I don't like the design. The kitchen has better views than the bedroom. It gets cold in the upper atmosphere so it would make more sense to have the bedroom closer to the heating plant (I'm assuming that the R factor of a balloon skin is pretty low).

I'll keep the porch light on.

I imagine that the design can be easily adapted, although I'm unsure about aerospace coding requirements. But would you really want a view from a room in which you're usually asleep? And everyone would have to go through the bedroom (via the trap-door) to get to the basket. Some people too, including myself, prefer cool bedrooms for sleeping, and you can see the stars from the bedroom. (Notice the telescope.)

Thanks!

I see you are new to alt.architecture.aerialist.habitat Of course the rope ladders and macrame staircases are on the outside of the balloon! The helical nature of the stairways creates a spinning motion in the balloon to produce an artificial gravity to counteract the reduced gravity aloft. God is in the details.

Living above the horizon is so 20th century. Living on the 1/Taliesin low down is ever so much more lofty.

Damn - the bulb just went out.

What are you talking about?! It's isometric! Everything looks to be on the inside, except the resident, who is in the basket, which makes perfect sense.

I've never heard of anything so preposterous.

Do they have pina coladas there?

Oh no!

Nice. It's been a touch chilly on the coast, but warmed up a little this week enought to mosey on up to Lynn Canyon yesterday where we jumped off the rocks a few times into the rather chilly waters below. I half-heartedly tried to catch a fish with my bare hands and goggles. The fish darted out of the way at the last minute. Aside from the white vinyl, what else have you guys so far been doing with yourselves in the way of leisure/pleasure this summer? I'm actually at Cactus Club cafe on Broadway near Granville, which I just found has wireless internet. I just had some Tai-flavoured chicken wings, and one of their crappy house drinks. As an offset, my second was a more classic Long Island Iced Tea (with a dubious taste) and am now I'm having a nutty colada, which was blended with enough ice to make it rather watery. Well, looking around, it appears to be more of a 20-something venue anyway, so I'll just send this off and pay my exorbitant tab.

Tuna, clams, fish taco etc.

I appreciate that answer.

I can also appreciate the slang, 'tasty vittles', for things one can see when one is playing nude frisbee with someone special.

And if you made it so that the furnishings and materials were of the lightest kind.

Heat rises AFAIK.

Oh ya? Well, 'Boards of Canada' have a song called, 'Everything You Do is a Balloon', so maybe that's all that some people can do.

Do the residents create their own gas ;) ?
((There don't seem to be any regulars any more...))
- Kris

In part of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bodie_ghost_town.jpg
http://www.oddee.com/item_96462.aspx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_town
The dog days of summer are upon us too...

"Drop in" as in taking the first giant step from the bottom room of the balloon? Better bring a 'chute, cause that first step is a doozy!

Actually, I hear some are considering the first parachuteless-landing skydive (not to be confused with a skydive partly without a parachute and subsequent landing with). Maybe it will involve a padded leather body suit and some kind of very high and well-greased ramp and long trough of shallow water.