Are there any musicians in the group?

Page 1 of 2
http://www.yellowdoorchoir.com/mp3samples.html
The last link is...ummm, well...different! I was expecting bad, but it's really unbelievably, testicle-shriveling bad.

What did you expect to find Behind the Yellow Door?
RicodJour wrote:

piano, various kinds of ethnic drums and things to blow on. Last couple of years have been giving away musical instruments to sons - sitar to one, gave up my gaida (bagpipe from Macedonia), thinking of popping the bucks to buy new ones.

Bagpipes! I'll never get used to them. Something about the raspiness makes me want to hit someone with a sword. You must be popular with the neighbors ; )
Typical of the Balkans, every link I followed on the gaida referred to *Bulgaria*.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gaida+music http://www.rootsworld.com/bagpipes/ http://www.rootsworld.com/reviews/thracian.html :
"The set starts off with two of the big names in Bulgarian music, clarinetist Ivo Papazov and singer Yildiz Ibrahimova. But expect the unexpected here. The two present duets for reed and voice alone, in an eerie, post-modern style that is as much Meredith Monk as Balkan celebration. The pair squeak, squawk and shout a freeform music that is sometimes sweet and beautiful, and sometimes way on the outside. "
*Meredith Monk*? I thought I *dreamed* her 30 years ago. Turns out she has a website and looks like she's still pretty active. (I love big cities. She'd starve in this 5M burg.) Turns out she's even playing the Catskills in a couple of weeks.... http://www.mro.org/zmm/index.php .
Sounds like an alt.arch road trip!

' been listening to this since visiting the site:
http://www.meredithmonk.org/MonkAudio.html
This stuff is dope!
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Ivo Papasov et all are jazz musicians who, btw, regularly make it to US and Canada, best album is "Wedding Music" As a Montenegrin, you oughta like it.
As for traditional gaida, this is something else entirely, usually played as festivals and celebrations, like at the end of an all night vigil where after the service is ove, you go out and eat and dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEDek3xEkU&mode=related&search

*Half*-Motenegrin, and the closest I'll get to the bagpipe is the saxophone.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

music. Ivo Papasov's Wedding Music is the kind of music that Serbs, Romani and Montenegrins always have for weddings, literally. It features about ten or eleven kinds of brass instruments augmented by some modern ones and some ones we never see in North America. It's hard to explain until you hear it. But with Ivo, it's also jazz. Here is brass music with added dumbek and drums on Saint Nicholas Day in Macedonia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIw9I_4LOeE&mode=related&search

I'm familiar with this sort of music, and like it quite a bit, especially the dance music. I used to dance "kolo" as a kid. Great fun.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

http://sctv.org/characters/shmenges/body.htm
Happy Time Harry wrote:

Kapusta piroshki with musroom s that one lady makes.....By the time you make it home from church after a few bucks worth of these, you are creating your own fuel. Problem? How to harness that fuel...

Oi. The dietary equivalent of bagpipes! Throw in some popara and kacamak and you've got me running west like a two-legged, balding, Terry Fox... at least until I get to Italy. There I could linger for a lunch or two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kacamak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Speaking of sheep, you can't make decent popara with cow cheese . Mamaglia (kachamak) owes itself to AMERICANS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%83m%C4%83lig%C4%83
There was no corn to mix the cheese into , etc. until corn got exported from us . And there is no decent kachamak without kajmak (an import frm Central Asia. Although I had the mare's milk kind once, a more interesting one is made from bivolitsa, the small buffalo.

Everyone owes everything to everyone and everything else. You didn't create your atoms - they were undoubtedly part of people and things that came before. Everything else is meaningless subdivision for the purposes of Ego.

Yeah, but its something to do.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

helpings of those would plug me up tighter than a bullfrog's ass for at least a week.

The cornmeal paste has a bunch of fiber in it. Be my guest.
Happy Time Harry wrote:

will make it truly fragrant