Subject Author Posted Replies

Forstner bits
Wouldn't carbide be better than those for hardwoods? Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
40
40

Seeking a Special Chop or Cut-Off Saw
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't remember the name, but I remember it costing something...
8
8

Yet another compound miter question
have done some searching and will continue to do so, but if anyone has some tips it would be greatly appreciated: I'm starting an arts&crafts clock w/QSWO, copying from a magazine ad, and trying to...
3
3

Walnut Desk Project and Sketchup PDF file
I am building a Walnut desk for a customer and posted on a.b.p.w. two low resolution pictures of the desk as it stands right now. I have attached a PDF file drawn on Sketchup. Some of you have...
22
22

HVLP & Latex: Follow-Up
First, I want to send a HUGE THANK YOU to Robert (a.k.a. "nailshooter41") for selflessly sharing his knowledge on this subject. Robert definitely knows his stuff, and he willingly takes the time to...
5
5

Ping Upscale - Bench for Wheelchair users
I think it's Upscale that uses a wheelchair and was mentioning what General had done with table saws. Chris Schwartz has an article on one made especially by and for a wheelchair user. Even with the...
7
7

Exterior doors. Steel of Fiberglass?
Not exactly a woodworking question, but who better to ask. I'm in the market for 5 new entry doors for my house. Choises are steel, smooth fiberglass and wood grained fiberglass. (I guess wood is an...
17
17

Drawer Slides, Filing Cabinet
Am building a two drawer lateral filing cabinet with the drawers 36" long and 18" front to back. At present plan to use 18" full extension slides rated at 100 lbs. Can I stay with the 100 lbs. slides...
6
6

New web site: tablesawalignment.com
Hi Folks, I just launched a brand new web site devoted to nothing but table saw alignment, adjustment, and accessories. It's in blog format so member participation and contribution is welcome! The...
12
12

Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood? I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will be...
13
13

Furniture Restoration: Recommendations for Glue Disassembly
The other day, I trashpicked two dishware cabinets with a lot of nice features-- intact glass doors, nice finish, mahogany, curved doors, and lots of other things. While I _currently_ plan to simply...
11
11

toning birch plywood
I am having trouble with birch ply blotching. I used a 1 lb cut of shellac to seal it a bit and then applied a dark Lockwood water based dye. Terrible blotching. I was thinking about toning the wood...
6
6

What is it? Set 237
1335 is a "traveler". A really nice one. Wheelwrights use them to measure the distance around a wooden wheel and the inside of the iron tire for fitting purposes. But either the guy measured the...
15
15

TV Stand Project Cont. (Before and After)
Photos posted on ABPW. Still need to install 1/4" ply back when I have time to run to the lumber yard (in 2-weeks). Huge improvement!

Throwback - You Never Know - Not OT
This AM I was finishing off an outdoor project - little foot-stool to go with an Adirondack chair I'd built. I needed (or wanted - for purposes of over-engineering) a couple of 45 degree angle braces...
7
7