Yard Art, Oh No

Well, looks like it's my turn in the barrel. The older son asked me to make some figures for his yard for halloween; Grim Reaper, witch, ghost, couple of pumpkins. The dau-in-law and grand-dau are very much for it too, so looks like I'm stuck.

I did a google image search on halloween yard art, and came up with a myriad of pictures. Printed a batch out, and took them over yesterday, for them to choose what they wanted. Last I counted they'd picked out 9 (nine), and counting. I told 'em I ain't making 9d. The kid is supposed to be picking up some OSB or plywood, probably scraps. As soon as I get the wood, and choices, I'll start. Should be able to sketch them out, cut 'em out, and paint. No biggie. Except it's YARD ART. Urk. I've got a NOS pantograph I could use to scale up the pictures, but I'd really hate to sully it so. So, it'll be freehand, and if push comes to shove, could craw a grid on the picture, then a larger grid on the wood, and scale up that way. That's a handy way to do it if you don't have faith in your drawing skills.

Yard art. How could I have sunk so low? What Gods did I piss off? Alas, alack, woe is me.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T
< snip >

We all slow down a little as we age and I here that a few of those slightly used virgins that people send you have been complaining. ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 1:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Nova) doth sayeth: We all slow down a little as we age and I here that a few of those slightly used virgins that people send you have been complaining. ;-)

Hah! If any of you heathens have sent any slightly used virgins they musta made 'em walk, 'cause I haven't seen any. I've slowed down, yes; but that only means it takes me longer; no complaints about that.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Grandkids make us do the craziest things, I'm betting she rolls her eyes just right and Granddad will make them all. Only say this 'cause I've been there lol.

Reply to
asmurff

I've been there, and done that too.

If you can copy your art onto 8 1/2 X 11 transparent film and you can borrow a projector someplace, it'll save a bunch of time. It's easy to enlarge and transfer the images to the wood this way. After putting the image in the projector I positioned the projector so that it projected at the size that I wanted onto the wood and then I used a marker to trace all the lines. Then with a roto zip bit and a 1/8-1/4 bit adapter in my plunge router, and the plywood lying flat on a piece of foam insulation, I followed the perimeter lines to cut them out. Then the part that I despise, painting (I hate painting). I managed to get the grand daughter and daughter in law to do most of it. The roto zip bit works much better than using a sabre saw or the band saw and I found that using the foam insulation as a backer behind the wood keeps the wood from splintering and protects the bit, making the job much easier than trying to saw them out and then having to sand the splinters off the edges.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Hello All, last year I ended up with a large box from a printer (plotter) at work and wanted to do something with it. I took it home and hd my wife stand in front of a section and put a spotlight at the other end of the room and traced around the outline. We did the same with me holding an ax like I was going to swing it down. I ended up putting them in front of two windows with a light shining on 'em. A little sheer fabric in the windows gave it more of an eery look.

If you dont have access to a plotter to print out each picture full size you may be able to make a small cutout and shine a light from across the room (or garage) to trace the image. Hope this helps.

Hey Jake, I had to join a different newsgroup server to reply this time

Dave

Reply to
dbrasga

Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 12:10am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (FrozenNorth) posted in yellow in the snow and said: JOAT doing pukey pumpkins, who would have thunk it.

At least I'll make sure they've got a bit of class:

What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 7:47am (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (asmurff) doth sayeth: Grandkids make us do the craziest things, I'm betting she rolls her eyes just right and Granddad will make them all. Only say this 'cause I've been there lol.

Hah. I'm thinking the only way they'll get the whole nine is if I draw 'em all out, then let her and her mother paint them. If I'm painting, they aren't gonna get 'em all.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 10:45am snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com (Charley) doth post thusly: I've been there, and done that too.

Very much simpler, and faster, to just sketch it all out. Then I toss in any little changes I like. However, if I wanted to copy as is, I'd cut the picture out, mount in a slide frame, oil the paper (to make it translucent), then project it. That gives a picture clear enough to draw out the lines, at about any size you want. Then it's paint-by-numbers, without the numbers.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Thu, Sep 27, 2007, 8:48am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth posteth: Hello All, last year I ended up with a large box Hey Jake, I had to join a different newsgroup server to reply this time

I'll do the painted yard art, but I am not 'about' to make silhouette yard art.

So I see. Who's Jake?