Yankee Screwdriver

I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was better left unpunctured.
Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?
Puckdropper

Like this one? http://www.garrettwade.com/improved-yankee-style-screwdrivers-gp.html?SCID=W6071004&gclid=CI2fruLlydACFZZZhgodx7cEDA
Or these? (Amazon.com product link shortened)358399526&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=s&hvrandH65672908163036827&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy23191&hvtargid=kwd-1049382765&ref=pd_sl_7zgauynl4z_e
OTOH, since you made a hole, maybe a push drill? (Amazon.com product link shortened)2028041560&hvpos=1t3&hvnetw=s&hvrand150755522916480274&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy23191&hvtargid=kwd-338456565&ref=pd_sl_19o34p248a_b
On 11/27/2016 3:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Why? I have one but have not used it in over 35 years. The cordless drill made it obsolete. Faster, easier, more versatile, IMO.

I use mine all the time. Never have a problem with stripped out screwheads or broken screws. Especially useful when I'm putting screws in and out frequently, as when hanging a cabinet door and needing to plane it to fit just so.
As for brand, dunno now. Mine are all old Stanleys. There's two kinds, with and without a return spring, I like the ones with a spring better. They come in at least 3 sizes, I don't use the big one much because the stroke is too long.
John
In article <XnsA6CDE96166CCpogosupernews@

Stanley stopped making them a while back.
Be aware that the originals have a proprietary chuck for the bits and will only work with bits made specifically for the Yankee screwdriver.
If you search for "spiral ratchet screwdriver" on Amazon you'll get a number of hits in different price ranges, most of which will take standard hex-shank bits. Read the reviews carefully.
On 11/28/2016 5:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

If you search for Yankee Screwdriver on Amazon you get multiple "other brand" hits too.

First is the cool factor, and the second is it's an "alcohol powered tool" as Roy would call it. I have a tool bag in the van that I take to my relative's because I'm the handyman. A battery powered drill requires charging and space, and I'd rather not mess with either. For shooting in a couple screws, I think the Yankee Screwdriver would be just the thing.
Puckdropper

My thought as well. Besides it falls within my personal safety rule. Never turn on a power tool after I have had a drink.
Cordless drill. Nope. Lathe. Nope. Welder. Nope. Tractor. Nope.
Yankee Screw Driver !!!! Hey bubba hold my beer and watch this.
I've got an old Craftsman yankee screw driver sitting on my never ending projects bench right now. It has the same proprietary bit issue as many others. Worse I've managed to misplace all the bits. I could buys some. I see them on Ebay. But... my plan is to make my own adapter for it to use hex bits. I've actually already made a couple. They are just waiting on me to finish my broach holder / lathe cross drill before I epoxy in the magnet. Might also cut the shank on a straight shank drill chuck or a pin drill (or both) to fit it. Then I'll be able to use it as a push drill for bit sizes not readily available with hex shanks.
Go find one at a gar(b)age sale that somebody else has lost all the bits for and you are good to go. LOL.
On 27 Nov 2016 20:37:57 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: >I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high

No batteries required !
If you fall-in-love-with the twisty-turny thing ... here's what will adapt your useful bits ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pW809&cat=1,43411,43417
I own one , but have never actually used it .. John T.
On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 7:02:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I may still have my grandfather's someplace. I know I had it, but haven't seen it in years. I remember him using it and letting me use it when I was "helping" him as a little kid.
He's been gone for over 30 years. Now you've made me miss him again.
On 11/27/2016 6:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mine is in whichever time warp my spare saddle square disappeared into; you know, the saddle square that also never left the shop ...
Yep, even looked in the dryer ... ya never know.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 3:48:00 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

It's right next to the missing sock(s).
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:01:42 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, probably not: socks are the larval form of clothes hangers.
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:56:56 -0000 (UTC), Colin Campbell

That may have been true before wire coat hangers went extinct. We seem to have a constant shortage of coat hangers, even though SWMBO buys them by the bushel.
On 11/30/2016 10:09 PM, krw wrote:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue" "stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)
Puckdropper
On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.
On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?