Woodworking videos on iPods

Just wondering, if there is any interest in having woodworking videos on iPods and similar devices. Perfect for the shop - small, light and portable. I know some folks have TVs in the shop but is for entertainment or for instruction?

Interested in comments. I'm doing some "back of the envelope" market analysis for myself. So any comments are appreciated.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Mike Berger

Plus you would be missing a big, important detail about woodworking demographics.

That most of us are "visually challenged".

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I would add something else to this reality... How many of those "visually challenge" folks have an iPod? They probably don't even know what it is.

Sorry but this idea is good for garbage.

Think harder!

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

Also, I'm not sure I'd want a sensitive $400 piece of electronics in my shop, which is filled with spinning metal bits, sharp edges, precarious drops, hard floors, and sawdust everywhere.

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how practical it would be,

Reply to
N Hurst

I use my iPod in my shop for music, but I've no interest in squinting to view the screen of the new video iPod for woodworking projects or even DH.

Dave

Reply to
David

OMG, I think I'm a geek myself, but I didn't know an iPod could play video! I think that means I don't know what one is.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

My 83 year old mother has one of the video models ... but that's OK, cuz it forced her to recently upgrade from Windows 3.11 For Workgroups and get a new computer.

Reply to
Swingman

Ooh, they work with Linux?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Thanks much to all who posted. Without out something to actually show people, I'd guess most here are not enthusiastic about the idea of a portable video player in the workshop.

Appreciate the comments tho, again thanks!

To answer one question: people have provided hacks for using iPods with Linux. Tho, Apple has yet to provide an iTunes for Linux which would be so much easier!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
wallace.mikej

I heard of an iTunes workalike for Linux just the other day...

It was on sourceforge, I think. A quick look shows:

  1. Allows you to share audio files with iTunes users on MSWxx & Mac:

Allows synchronizing your iPod w/your (linux) computer (and other stuff):

Same thing, platform independent (java) app:

Some think their iPod is more useful if it is _running_ linux?!:

Enoch Root

That's a fact.

Reply to
CW