$5/bit for a few different types.
For folks that got these last year, are they any good? I did
a search on Google and found someone who said the bearing on
one they got was loose, so that doesn't bode well...
I bought 6 or 8 of them and have used 2 or 3. They perform well for the
first probably 15-20 linear feet. I then cleaned them and lightly honed
them with a medium diamond card hone and they performed fine again. Not
quite as smooth a surface as my CMT bits, but for $5 apop they are
definitely worth it. I might by 2 or 3 of the couple of profiles I use most
and still make out better than buying one higher priced bit.
I made that crib - it is holding up nicely (son is 16 months old now and
likes to play "escape from Alcatraz" at times - shaking the bars).
At the time I made it I didn't have a mortiser, so I did the filler blocks
as the plan indicates. If I could do it again now, I would definitely NOT
do that and make actual mortises. Much more time involved, but the result
would have been better, IMO. All in all the filler block approach works,
but even being careful I had a few that didn't fit perfect for whatever
reason and/or shifted during glue-up enough to notice now.
Mike - I was thinking the same thing about the filler blocks myself!!
I was wondering if it was designed that why for simplicity since it's
marketted as 'shop test and success guaranteed'. Otherwise you are
looking at a LOT of moritses. Were you thinking of doing loose tenons
are were you planning on a different way? Any other tips/suggestions
about this crib plan would be appreciated! I'm tuning up all my gear
and the maple has been acclimating for nearly two weeks now. I also
have some hand-me-down cherry I plan on using for the contrasting
I just finished this same crib (out of cherry) in July. (Two months to
spare before my first daughter was born in September. The changing
table was a different story...) Since I had a few friends and
relatives who wanted updates on the progress, I took quite a few photos
of the process and put a basic web page together for the project:
I was not a fan of the filler blocks, so I went with "real" mortise and
tenon joints. I didn't have a tenon jig at the time, so I cut the
tenons with a dado blade. This project was the justification to buy my
Delta mortiser. It really didn't take too long to cut the mortises and
tenons, but the hard part was getting all of the tenons lined up during
the glue-up process.
I am pleased with the finished results, and I haven't heard any
complaints from my daughter yet!
Great job on the crib and a very comprehensive write-up. I didn't keep a
photo log of mine, but seeing your cherry version makes me very jealous. My
wife was insistent about having a "white-washed" look, so I had not much
choice in the matter. Other than the finish, it was a great experience.
I've made several other things for my son - now 16 months old - and they are
the most rewarding projects of all. We're in the planning stages of "big
boy" furniture for next Fall.
Here's a link to my website of pictures of the baby woodworking projects -
just finished pictures, though, no in progress.
The slats are 3/8" x 1 1/4". I used a 1/4" mortise bit, so I only took
1/16" off each cheek. I don't remember exactly how long I made the
mortises, but I think I only took 1/8" off each shoulder. I wanted to
keep the tenons as large and solid as possible, but even 1/16" or 1/8"
cheeks and shoulders were enough to hide any imperfections in the
joinery. (Not that I'm admitting to any...)
I would do it just as Jason did - use a mortiser to make the mortises, and a
then use a tenoning jig to form tenons on the slats. Other than that, the
construction was actually a piece of cake. Jason's website should give you
a lot of clues as to the steps involved.
Mike, those slats are 3/8" thick? Exactly how much of a tenon are you
ending up with? Would it just be a bad idea if one was to have the
slats fit into the mortises themselves, which is essentially the same
look as if you would have used the 100 spacer blocks, no?
You have a good point and I think you're correct. Would simplifiy things
greatly, too. I was thinking that it would make sense to enlarge the
dimensions of the slats to end up with the 3/8" thick tenon just like any
other mortise and tenon joint. This would give you a bit more beef in the
slats, which isn't a bad thing, IMO. I'm unsure if it results in a stronger
I'm using Rockler's transitional crib plan, modified to suit SWMBO's
desires. The front & side are still slatted (but now rectangular slats, not
those arrowy ones), but the back is going to go a bit higher w/ frame &
panel beadboarded look (2 panels).
If I never look at another slat again, I'll be happy... and I have a
distinct feeling I'll be saying the same thing about the mortises for the
slats in another week. For looks & durability, I'm tenoning all 35 (made
40, figured good idea to have a few extra) slats to go into the rails...
and then I'm rounding over the 4 corners, sanding them once-over to make
'em even smoother... and then drill/chiselling out the 70 mortises to take
Maybe one day when she's older my daughter will realize how much went into
this for her... I complain, but it's a loving complaint :)
I stuggled through what Rockler calls a plan about 5 years ago with
the arrow shaped slats, all 72 of them. DIL request a pullout tray
under the crib with access when side was locked in up location. Handy
for space limited location as it doesn't add to total footprint for
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:22:10 GMT, Richard Boggs
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.