Woodworking Magazine Index

Have you ever wondered where in the world was that article you read many years ago? Which issue? Which magazine? Now there's a good chance you can find it using this free magazine index of over 15,000 indexed articles. It's free to sign up. You can check it out here:

Hope you find it helpful.

-Rick

Reply to
rvscreations

OK it's free so I signed up. This gives me an "Index" tab to search from. Closed the window. Tried to access site again and no "index" tab, it wants me to sign up again. No thanks.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

You can simply put "A" in all the blanks and get in.

Reply to
Leon

The following is on the page with the index tab:

Be sure to bookmark this page, otherwise you'll need to go through the Sign-up page to get here. Hope you enjoy and please pass the word to your friends or forums where you hang out. Feedback is always appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Artherholt

Then there's no reason to sign up. Just post the link with the index tab.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Since the webmasters have no clue how to program, just go to the index and screw the spam collector.

Larry Bud

link, and you say, "Screw him, it ain't perfect and he's a spam collector."

Reply to
Charles Self

There's no other reason for him to collect names and email addresses other than to send spam. He doesn't save preferences and he doesn't create a login.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Everyone's comments have been interesting. At least you're taking interest in a heck of a lot of work to maintain this thing. Let me clarify a couple things . . .

1) Yes, you are right. Simply post the link to the search page and viola! No need to sign up. It's not that the webmaster (me) doesn't know what he's doing . . . it's more a testament to the fact that I really, honest to goodness, don't care to spam, otherwise I would have gone further out of my way to make the access more bullet proof. Plus, you'll note that there is no email confirmation step required, further proof that I really don't care to make money off of spamming anyone. Heck, half the people put in nonsense when they sign up anyway.

2) The sign-up page is left over from when it WAS bullet proof and there was a cost to use it. To remove it would require redoing graphics, some reprogramming, and I don't care to do anything more with it other than keep it up to date, which is a sizeable task by itself.

3) Periodically, I'll take a brief look through the sign-up database to see where people are coming from as it interests me, but I hardly ever look at it anymore, and to actually try to figure out how to spam people based on the information . . . well, I have more important things to do with my time, like woodworking.

4) The bottom line is, for those that wish to take advantage, it's there for the taking. If some people get a measure of good use from it, that's enough of a reward for me.

-Rick

Reply to
rvscreations

That's crap Larry. He may want to send all of us Christmas Cards. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Rick. It's one of those free things with out the gotcha. What a refreshing and thoughtful offer. So uh it was not to collect names to send us all Christmas Cards? LOL Thanks again.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry Leon. No Christmas cards :-( The original intent back when the index was a subscription-based model was to require email addresses so that I could notify 'members' when the index membership needed to be renewed (annually). It was also used to notify when new magazines were added, or when the index hit, say 10,000 articles, or other such milestones. Consider the sign-up now more of a vestigial organ that no longer serves its true purpose, but only serves to let me know, when I bother to look at the sign-ups, the breadth of people from all walks and locations that take advantage of what now has become more of a labor of love. It's also interesting to see where people hear about the index, which is also part of the sign-up process. I could make things easier by utilizing cookies as a previous poster alluded to, but imagine the complaints . . . ;-)

Rick

Reply to
rvscreations

Ah yes, doofus here missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. As I scanned the boilerplate I caught the bold part and skipped the crucial part.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Thanks Rick. I have it bookmarked now. The next step is to remember it when I'm searching for an article. Easier said than done lately.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Hot damn! I remembered. See "Sharpening Brad Point drill bits" thread.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher