woodworking friends

A group of 45 year old woodworkers discuss where they should meet for dinner. They barely agree to meet at the Steakhouse and only because the waitresses have low-cut blouses with nice cleavage.

10 years later, at age 55, the group agrees to meet at the Steakhouse because the food is good and the wine selection is excellent.

10 years later, at age 65, the group agrees to meet at the Steakhouse because they can eat there in peace and quiet and the restaurant has a senior discount.

10 years later, at age 75, the group agrees to meet at the Steakhouse because the restaurant has lots of free parking, wheel chair access and an elevator.

10 years later, at age 85, the group agrees to meet at the Steakhouse because they have never been there before.

Reply to
Electric Comet

You cut-n-pasted that, didn't you? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm surprised the capital letters and punctuation were not edited out. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Dang, I'm in the third paragraph. Senior discount is my middle name, now! :)

Reply to
Noons

You must not have been a senior for very long!

I find my expenses going up, every day. Medical, food, fuel, cost of living, etc, and now I'm on a fixed income.

WTF state do you live in!? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hey... if you've got extra money I could recommend several good pockets to put it in to. ...and unlike most internet posts like this they're not mine! They're not charities, either.

Watching the little bits my grandma eats, I can totally see the senior discount. She's past 90 now and still going.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Depends on the age bracket. At 55 to 68 I had my highest income years. At 68 I chose to reduce my work time and since retired. By 60 the house was paid for and no debt except a voluntary car payment since I choose to buy new cars every few years.

Cost of living increases have been modest, fuel is holding low, even food prices have not been too bad. I did fix my income too. If I knew when I was going to die I could adjust accordingly though.

As krw noted, other expenses have gone down. No kid's education, school clothes, we have every appliance we will ever need, we only have one car now. I can afford to go out to dinner more now than when I was in my

30s or 40s.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll be 65 this year and have been getting "senior" discounts since I was 55 (half price for movies, even). I still work, and likely will as long as the work is fun and I work around good people. Food is cheap, fuel is incredibly cheap. My last "heat" (electricity) bill was $120. I think our record was $230. Taxes are the big thing. I'll find out what the tax laws really mean this year.

Georgia

Reply to
krw

Exactly. My mortgage is pocket change (I could pay it off in cash but soon enough). We don't even have a car payment. I owe some dimes for things I bought on zero interest but that's under a grand, total.

Dittto, though there are still tools to buy. ;-) The down side is that right now I have very little time to play.

Reply to
krw

There is a difference between 65 and 90. I guess my point is that people are living longer so 65 really isn't "retirement to the nursing home" age. The statistics show that seniors, as a group, have a lot more disposable income than any other age group.

Reply to
krw

You still watch "movies"!?

Strange. In my part of the USA (CO), food prices keep increasing. The last time gas prices went sky-high, so did food prices. This is understandable. When gasoline prices fell, food prices remained constant. I've seen $8.99USD/lb for cube stk. This is NOT food prices falling.

My heat is from propane, the fan for my central heating is electric. I can see "$120" per month ....fer 3-4 mos. During Summer, I pay zip fer propane and rarely more than $70 mo fer electricity.

You have my deepest sympathy!

I'll never live East of the CO's front range (Denver, Colo Springs, etc). Can't take the humidity. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sure, and we still go out to lunch/dinner, too (a couple of times on a weekend). Go figure. Not too often to the movies, though. The pickings are slim in the left's world.

Look how many minutes of work it takes to buy food.

Well, last month was "Winter", such as it was. We heat and cool with electricity. It's a rather large house, too (another thing I could never have afforded forty years ago).

Atlanta is a really nice city and we're just far enough that we live outside the congestion and leftist BS and just close enough that we can get anywhere we want to go within an hour (as long as it isn't rush hour), including Highland, Peachtree, two Woodcrafts, two Rocklers and several hardwood lumber yards. ;-)

My wife is going on a trip with her girl friends for a few days, so I'll probably hit Highland tomorrow.

I'd *NEVER* live in CA and I'm done with the nitre NE. The heat isn't all that bad, here, at least since they invented AC. ;-) The Winters are about perfect.

Reply to
krw

I did that until recently. I had cut my hours back and was planning to do it again when the owner would be back in April. After 27 years I quit. I was the general manager.

Long story short, things (people) changed. After a week I emailed the owner. Told him that I've worked for 54 years and over the years at times I had to put up with some assholes because I needed a job and had to earn a living. I no longer have to work with assholes and so I wont. I'm done as soon as I click on "send". My keys and credit cards will be on your desk when I get back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski