Woodsmith box joint jig

They appear to be "in stock":

Pat Barber

Thanks, that's a very old issue. I have the plans and parts on the way from G. Ross. thanks.

Reply to
tiredofspam

it says tempoararily out of stock.

I thought it was very much like the incra. When the ibox joint jig came out I thought someone said it was very like the woodsmith one. I guess I mis understood ..

I have a box joint jig that I made from plans years ago... I can't remember I think it was Liz's box joint jig... I didn't keep the plan. I got it online a long while back.

Works ok, but has some issues... pain to get it right. So I was looking to upgrade.

Reply to
tiredofspam

That's the plans with the hardware kit. The plans alone download from .

I hadn't seen the Incra box joint jig. I've been using an Incra jig for probably 20 years now. Incra generally works on a principle of repeatable movement in controlled steps. I can't tell from what's on the Incra site if their box joint jig is based on different principles or not.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I never used Boeshield. Is that what he went back to after using TopCote?

From reading a ton of posts here from Boeshield users, including you, It became clear Topcote is better in all counts to Boeshield. I know you used both and went with TopCote and a lot of others comments on Boeshield convinced me. So, if he is using Boeshield I'm not interested, if he found something else that is better than TopCote, I'm slightly interested, slightly because TopCote has met all my needs/expectations, although in my current shop I don't have a rust problem with or without TopCote. It's slippery as all get out and there is no need to wax any jigs used on TopCote'd tops.

Reply to
Jack

Been there, done that, except used lacquer thinner as the solvent. I did this because at that time, my basement shop would get an inch of water every time it rained hard. Fighting rust was a war. I replaced this practice with a 3M product called 3M dry lube. This stuff was awesome, but I could only get it through a friend that worked for 3M and got it at the 3M store in Minnesota. This stuff stopped all rust for 6 months at least and slick as wet ice. When I tried to replace my supply, couldn't find it, and even emailed 3M with the product number, photo of the can, and he said he never heard of it, couldn't find it. Later when I looked at TopCote, I noticed the can was VERY similar to the 3M product:

I went with it, and it seems about exactly the same. Way slipperier than the wax treatment, and far more durable. Can't say about the rust prevention as my shop is dry now, but I suspect it is the exact same 3M product I used years ago.

Same here, however Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, in the words of Joe E. Lewis, "I'm thirsty, not dirty.?:-)

Reply to
Jack

That's good to hear, as I've seen that product in hardware store. I'll keep that in mind.

I picked up a can of Superlube Dri-film, which seems to be the same as Top-Cote, as well. Very slick, zero residue.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have not heard of any other spray on wax unless he is talking about a furniture polish. Through the years I have tried numerous products, I always go back to TopCote or Empire, Empire was the original maker of TopCote.

When I originally used Boeshield 13 years ago I had to lay it on so thick to protect that I had to spend too much time every time I used the saw, daily, to get the excess gunk off. If it did not have excess gunk it simply did not protect overnight.

On another note, I am going to one day reclean the surface of my saw, clean off the patina again. ;~) I am seriously considering putting a light film of TiteBondII on the surface, let dry a few minutes and then remove it. Every time I leave a drop of glue on the surface of my saw and pop the glue spot loose it reveals a clean silvery surface.

Reply to
Leon

Who knew you were such a fashion queen. What's wrong with the patina? I take my ROS and usually a green pad to clean the table if I want it that clean.

I don't use my ROS much anymore so it's a perfect use for it. Just cut up your rectangular green pad to a round pad... helps make the scissors sharp too.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Yeah, I set my old PC ROS on to pf a Scotch Brite and work in the Top Saver.

The glue works like magic though, put it on, take it off.

Reply to
Leon

This might have something to do with it. Or maybe not.

"Q. How do I access the online index? A. The online index is currently only available to subscribers, so you will need to log into your account to access this. Just click on Online Index under the "Other" tab above. Then complete the Subscriber Login information. Once you are logged into your account the link for the index can be found on the right under the photo of the current issue."

Reply to
John McGaw