wooden folding chair for large person

Hey there, I've got a question for everyone. A friend of mine asked me if I could make a folding chair for her husband. The problem is he weights about

400 lbs. Does anyone know if there is a chair for a large person or if it can be done? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Jim Heater

Reply to
Jim Heater

Don't waste your time. He needs a specialty chair that will assist getting in and out, and they are megabucks.

Reply to
Guess who

Not sure the exact requirement. Why does it need to fold? So they can carry it to the beach, etc? If so, my first idea might be too heavy.

First idea would be a folding Adirondack chair. It has enough heft to carry that kind of weight. Google showed this

as the first hit. Once you decide on a plan, you might take a close look at the folding mechanism and consider how to beef it up a bit.

Second idea would be to beef up a sling chair

it out of some beefy lumber and use a hall runner carpet as sling.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Tue, Aug 2, 2005, 1:40pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@clss.net (Jim=A0Heater) mumbled: Hey there, I've got a question for everyone. A friend of mine asked me if I could make a folding chair for her husband. The problem is he weights about 400 lbs. Does anyone know if there is a chair for a large person or if it can be done? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

I ran across this while checking a thread I had started. You didn't bother to look before you asked, did you?

A simple, and quick (2-3 minutes), google tracked down these. I would think either could work. Plenty more plans out there, including knock-down chairs. You find 'em, if you're not happy with these.

it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.

- Seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

Jim,

Take a look at

Seems to me that this might be able to be customized to fit a larger size.

Ed

Reply to
cefischer