Wood Supply in Missoula or Kalispell, Montana???

Hi All,

I need a source of lumber, preferably a good woodworking store or lumberyard in Western Montana, when at my vacation home. I have a place that has nice local woods, fir, cedar, pine, but nothing else. I'm looking for oak, walnut, cherry, and so forth. Rockler ships, but I'd need Bill Gates to pay for it.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Rich.....

Reply to
rich

Rich, I grew up near there and spent many years in the area... good luck. There didn't use to be a commercial store, I doubt there is now

Your best bet is to make local contacts and try to find the local sources that turners and craftmakers use. But there is little native growth of the hardwoods you list.

Personally I think I would take the wood with me, or pre-ship it

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Intermountin lumber is no longer "local" but a good supplier and in driving distance from you.

Alan

I have another source at work in your area, a bit south about an hours drive. Might run trucks into your area to drop off.

Email me outside at:

a r w o m a c k 0 (one) at att . net

replace the (one) with 1 and it's zero 1 not O1

Reply to
arw01

Rich,

Try Buckeye Hardwoods & Flooring (

). They are in Arlee, MT. I live in Belgrade (near Bozeman) and they recently opened a branch here. We finally have a bit of competition with Intermountain Wood Products and Renneberg Hardwoods doing business here as well.

Intermountain has a branch in Missoula, I believe.

Not sure how prices are west of the Continental Divide, but Buckeye was pretty competitive on the walnut I was looking at earlier this year, compared to Intermountain. But on some species Intermountain or Renneberg ended up being cheaper, so shop and compare...

Also, don't write off the local lumber yards. One of the local yards here had some nice oak and walnut at prices that gave the specialty outfits a run for their money. Hit or miss though.

Reply to
Brian Oevermann